Coupled cold water cisterns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am in a relatively new house and have been messing about in the loft. I have two separate cold water tanks joined by a connector at the bottom of the tanks.

There were no lids and the tanks poorly insulated. I've fashioned some lids (being unable to find exact fits anywhere) out of marine ply, covered with plastic flysheet sandwiching some celotex type insulation in there to insulate the lid.

Anyway the water in one tank looked a little "stagnant" (small amount of white stuff on the surface. I've had a little read and it looks as though perhaps not plumbed quite right. The feeds for the hot water tank and the cold water to the bath and also the ballvalve where water enters are on the same tank. (The overflow is on the "stagnant" tank, with none on the other tank (I imagined a situation where the bottom connector froze and I would then be left with a single tank without an overflow, but I probably worry too much).

Should I be looking to have the ballvalve moved to the other tank? Should I be looking to leave the existing ballvalve and add another ballvalve to the second tank? Is the overflow arrangement standard or should each tank have separate arrangements?

Sorry for the all the questions - I really appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
The feeds should come out of one tank and the float valve should be in the other. That way both tanks will have flow when any water is used. (except kitchen/garden tap)

One overflow is ok.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back