collapsed roof beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We returned from a month in Uk to our elderly French cottage which is home. There was a very saggy roof to greet us. No missing or broken roof tiles outside but a major split in the roof beam which was only just holding the roof up. The beam is clean & dry, no dampness, rot or insect damage visible.

It is temporarily shored up but we have been advised it is a major repair job. If we have any hope of a claim for insurance we have to try to establish the cause isn't wear & tear but weather related.

We had a deep covering of snow (unusual) on the roof in February and it sat for an even more unusual period of time. Pipes froze for the first time in 10 years of ownership etc, followed by a prolonged dry & very warm couple of weeks.

Could this be a likely cause of such a major split in the timber or am I clutching at straws :?:

Sponsored Links
Snow and wind loading is very real and is factored into all roof structures.

The wind can create a diaphragm effect causing the roof to flex.

Snow loading can be significant.

Without knowing the actual policy terms it it difficult to say if this would be classed as weather related - there could be an argument of wear and tear as the beam is internal, or one of poor design (beam not up to the job). But it depends on the policy

With some policies, it may help however, if a (or several) loose or broken tile(s) (dislodged by wind or broken by ice) had allowed water in to soften the timber ;)

Scrutinise the policy terms as you only get one short when stating a cause

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your advice.

The beam is absolutely bone dry. I don't think that in the space of 1-2 months that it would be feasible to have soaked through to any real extent. My partner suggested that we had found one or two loose tiles but I would rather not go there.

I will scrutinise the (French) policy - I know storms, snow and ice are covered - but not if there is a delay in snow fall and damage occuring. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back