Coloured Hot Water - Primatic Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently flushed and cleaned my central heating system, even after a couple of weeks and a number of system drain downs I am getting dis-coloured water from the hot water taps.

I have an old boiler (Thorn M30/42B) with a Primatic Hot Water Cylinder.

Can anyone advise how I can correct this??

Thanks in advance
C

Sponsored Links
did you put inhibiter in the system???

if you did then the air bubble will not regenerate and you have a hell of a job flushing it out again

good luck

why wouldnt the air bubble regenerate because of inhibitor?

inhibitor has not been used as it is an open system. I have mians flushed a number of times using the advise from wiki pages.

Sponsored Links
You have to drain the cylinder completely and refill slowly with an how water tap open to re-establish the air gap.

Do not use an inhibitor as you will contaminate the domestic water.

rob884 said:

because it kills the miniscus mate, no surface tension NO air bubble

I have tried everything from draining the system, refilling slowly and with a hot tap open, but to no avail

Inhibitor has not been used. I did use Sentinel 400 to clean the system but flushed it 2/3 times.

Any ideas please

Regards
C

corgiman said:
rob884 said:

ya learn something new everyday! ;)

corgiman said:
rob884 said:

:rolleyes: Whats all that about :rolleyes: I hope I dont offend any moslems here when I say yer talking shi-ite :eek:

If there isn't a drain off on the cylinder supply pipe.
Take the top connection off your cylinder stick a length [enough to reach from the bottom of the cyl to above the joint] of 15mm in with a hosepipe on it. Do to the hosepipe what Monica Lewinsky did to Bill Clinton and syphon the water from your cylinder.

Remove pipe, reconnect the joint and refill.

The water will take a day or two to settle down.

Doitall did tell you but I think you needed it spelling out.

Not a good idea to use any chemicals when you have a primatic cylinder.

If you keep getting problems consider fitting a F&E tank and going fully indirect.

doitall said:
You have to drain the cylinder completely and refill slowly with an how water tap open to re-establish the air gap.

There is inhibitor for primatics.

Water Systems said:
doitall said:

There is inhibitor for primatics.

Ive never heard about it ....

Enlighten me!

On Friday I drained the system once again. This time I also removed the pump and drained by putting a bucket under. I then flushed the whole system until clear water was coming from all drains and pump connections. Refilled slowly with a hot tap open. So far so good.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Regards
C

P.S get the primatic ripped out and put a decent system in so you can treat the central heating water otherwise you will be doing all this agin in 4 years. :idea:

rob884 said:

Sorry to be blunt, but that's drivel.
Meniscus is the slight rise (or fall) of liquid at the wall of the vessel - which is indeed caused by surface tension.
The height depends on radius.
Primatic tanks are too big for this to be significant.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young–Laplace_equation#Capillary_pressure_in_a_tube

Also I doubt that the inhibitor has much effect on surface tension.

Once the bubble is there it can't escape, but it could obviously dissolve, presumably this is more than made up for by air released by heating.

What an appalling design idea !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back