combi boiler and shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i`ve got a pressurerised combi boiler which fills a hot water cylinder can i fit a booster pump please?i was only thinking of putting in a 1.5 -2 bar pump to run one thermostatic shower cheers

Sponsored Links
You're not giving us much to go on are you? Let's have more information.

I suppose it depends if you have a cold water tank gravity-feeding the hot cylinder or not. I would assume that you do, otherwise a standard hot water cylinder won't offer any benefit over just a combi on it's own (i.e. pressure no greater).

If this is the case, then you can fit a shower pump to the hot cylinder outlet. That is the only place to fit one, you can't pump the inlet or outlet of a combi boiler (you probably knew that already :D ).

A shower pump usually is mounted at the base of the hot water cylinder, so have a look and see if you have any room to do that in your airing cupboard. If not, just place it as near to the cylinder as possible.

i`ve got a pressurerised combi boiler which fills a hot water cylinder
- not a good start!
The Hot Water output from a combi is usually at mains pressure. A hot water cylinder is usually fed from a cold water storage tank (in the loft). Conventional cylinders are NOT designed to take mains pressure and will burst!

Do you mean that you have a Combi with a heat store - something altogether different?

If the Combi is fed with cold water from a tank, that can lead to another set of problems. That's not how they're designed to work.

Please explain more - better still, do a diagram of the pipes as you believe them to be.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
cheers for replies,
i have a tank which stores hot water from my boiler in my airing cupboard i`ve 3 pipes coming in from the top 2 in 22mm 1 in 15mm all with gate valves (i think there gate valves anyway) and 1 22mm pipe coming out or the top of my hot water cylinder and going down through the floor can`t see too muck as my airing cupboard is quite tight with the hot water cylinder.i was planning on putting pump on one of the shelves and running pipes to shower up into the loft and back down as they`ve only got about 3 metres to go

You /we need to know exactly what's going on with your system. Suggest you get a plumber to look at it. If it's really a normal vented HW supply you will need a CW pipe from the loft tank, and a HW pipe from the HW cylinder via some sort of flange, going to the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back