Combi boiler delivers hot water then luke warm

as an independent I'm wondering if british gas advised you to fit a primary filter after their excellent advice last year?

all the crap being effectively cleaned by the chemicals they dosed last year accumulating inside the new 'calorifier' (plate HE?) has built up and blocked it again.

out of interest how long were BG homecare there to do their service this year and how much is it per annum

Sponsored Links
Well last year you had some fine people on here giving you good sound advice and I don't think you took a blind bit of notice now the probs come back to bite you on the bum.I won't say it servers you right I'm not really like that and your poor old mum is the one who suffers but, for gods sake stay away from BG plunkers every one with the odd exception.If you need work doing get a proper RGI who know your type of boiler and he'll sort it out.Good luck.Bob

I'm really not sure where this school of thought has originated from that I have ignored advice given on this board.

I posted last year a summary of the advice given to me, NOT to belittle or criticise anyone but to emphasise that I haven't been given any advice that contributors to this thread have agreed upon so it's difficult for someone like myself who doesn't have much of a clue about heating systems to know what is wrong and what needs doing.

Some of the advice so far....
  • "..but I would be looking at the diverter valve not going fully to the hot water position"
  • "..I would go for a blocked secondary heat exchanger."
  • "..That would be my first guess too.... however, if the rads get hot when HW is run, could be diverter? Or even both, but doubtful."
  • "The guy could be right. To confirm you need an expert Vaillant man"
  • "Rubber hose is more than likely choked solid."
Since last year's service and subsequent follow ups from BG her hot water returned to normal functionality-it only stopped working immediately after this year's BG service. We know that BG are trying to upsell everytime they come to do a service and it's impossible for us to determine whether it is only an upsell tactic or whether they are telling thr truth.

Yes, I know we can have the boiler serviced by someone other than BG but at least with BG my mum has the security of knowing that they will be out within a few days (sometimes same day) if something goes wrong whereas an independant engineer could be a much longer wait. Around 2 years ago my mum's heating failed just before Christmas-it would have been nigh on impossible to get anyone else at that time of the year.

as an independent I'm wondering if british gas advised you to fit a primary filter after their excellent advice last year?

all the crap being effectively cleaned by the chemicals they dosed last year accumulating inside the new 'calorifier' (plate HE?) has built up and blocked it again.

out of interest how long were BG homecare there to do their service this year and how much is it per annum

The service was probably between 1-2 hours as it coincided with a small drip leak below the boiler which they fixed at the time. The BG guy said our "water was crap" which was why the boiler keeps developing leaks.....

She pays around £ 25 a month which is due to go up to around £ 30 from next year.

Sponsored Links
She pays around £ 25 a month which is due to go up to around £ 30 from next year.

Blimey, what level of service did she have? I have just cancelled my BG homecare due to having a new boiler installed earlier this week, and that was £7 a month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back