Combi boiler Ideal C28 Mini - no hot water or heating!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help.
The boiler had been drained (was empty property for 6 months) and I have filled it up to 1.5 bar. When I try to run in Heating Mode the boiler goes through its motions for approx 20 seconds (I can't see any ignition taking place) and then stops and the green light flashes very rapidly; the red light does not come on and neither do the other lights on PCB. I have tried on Hot Water alone setting but get the same result.
I have tried to shut the gas valve to see if lockout/red light comes on but it doesn't and I get the same result so somethng is going wrong before the demand for gas (I guess)

PS: I can hear a gargling/water emptying noise when the boiler comes to a halt after the 20 seconds or so cycle.

Sponsored Links
The usual expectation is that the pump needs spinning.

However, your noise indicates this is probably OK.

I think you may need a competent engineer.

Tony

the fan does not appear to be running
when i took the inner case cover off i could see the fan assembly and the the small rotor that is on the outside of the fan assembly does not spin when boiler is started. if i move it by hand it spins ok, i.e. not sticking

Sponsored Links
You should not have opened the combustion chamber.

Make sure all the teeth are on the outside and dont open it again!

You should check to see if the pump is spinning ( see FAQ ) and if so then check that the system flow switch is operating, I expect that it isn't.

Tony

I took the microswitch off by removing the clip/fork and I could see the pin/spindle sticking out by about 6mm and when i start the boiler there is no difference, i.e. same result. The pin does not move in or out - should it work even with the switch removed (i.e. wiring is still connected to the switch but the swith body is disconnected to the pin/spindle)?
what do i do next?
with regard to checking if the pump is working i can't understand the instructions in the FAQ section, i.e.
"Set pump to 1.
"Set pump to 2, followed by 3..."
what does this mean; how do i set pump to 1,2, and 3? pls help

The FAQ refers to a relatively common pump with three different power settings. I have no idea what pump you have, so maybe it doesn't apply to you.

Firstly you need to find out if the pump is working. That boiler has a single speed pump so no switch positions. If its not working then it needs to be fixed. If it is then....

If you remove the system flow switch and try to start the boiler and then operate the switch with a cocktail stick then the boiler should fire up.

If the pin is not coming out by about 9 mm when the pump starts then there is a flow problem.

Chris R will tell you how to fix it as he seems to go to a lot of them. You could search on here to see where I have explained before what can be done.

It can be a little challenging for a professional though.

Tony

thanks Agile for your help
I did stick the cocktail stick and it did fire up so does this mean there is a flow problem and what next ? is it anything to do with the diaphram?
ps: i don't know how to check the pump is working so if you can shed some light then that would be great, or does the above cocktail trick confirm the pump is ok?

no the cocktail stick does not comfirm the pump is working !!! u should be able to here the pump or feel it vibrating ???

If the pump is working there may be blockages in the boiler or dirt in the flow diaphragm or the small hollow screw is not fully in.

You need to look at the site FAQ and see if the pump is turning first.

If its turning remove the head and see if the impeller is fouled.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back