Combi Boiler intermittently will not ignite (Potterton)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Combi Boiler is a potterton performer 24

I had a problem with 1 radiator which wasn’t getting hot, I got all the air out to the point that ONLY water was coming out. A mate was round who suggested that perhaps the return valve on the rad was not fully open (have only been in the flat since summer). Wise man – was just ticket, opened her up and now she is red hot. During the bleeding phase, i took a lot of water out of the system and also replaced it using the tap on the boiler to do that - pressure went back upto 2 bar.

Since then, im finding that combi boiler is not always kicking in when I want hot water from the shower (furthest away from boiler) or toilet sink (middle distance from boiler) all of the time, say 50%. The kitchen sink (right next to the boiler) was providing it (kicking the boiler) almost 95% of the time. Then 5% of the time im finding that the boiler just doesn’t kick in at all. I have to turn the boiler off and on again to get it to go back to normal. This morning its happened again and a flat mate told me - so i don’t even know if the turn off/on thing will work.

This has ONLY started to happen since i fiddled with the radiator and water pressure. What i did use to notice was that the water from the tap in the bathroom did not always get hot if i opened it up FULLY. If i just had a gentle flow of water, i found that more often than not, i would get hot vs luke warm water.

The pressure in the system is at around 2 BAR when the central heating is off and goes above this when its on – I know this is not good and intend on releasing some water out tonight – as I just printed the manual off for the boiler today which tells me where the expansion release valve is!!

Any ideas/ suggestions? I don’t know how old the boiler is.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back