Combi boiler keeps shutting off when using shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single lever shower mixer on the bath which is fed by a combi boiler, after a lot of messing around eventually manage to get a decent temperature only after a couple of minutes for the water to go cold. The boiler shuts down and I have to then get the hot water going again only to be unable to get a shower which is just below scalding. Would a larger bore shower hose help and what would be a good size to get there seems to be lots of sizes from 11mm to 16mm? Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
squirt the shower into a bucket, time it, see how many litres per minute it is delivering.

Next time you have a shower, leave the hot basin tap running and see if that helps.

It might be interesting to know what sort of boiler you have got, how old it is, and when it was last serviced.

You haven't got a cold-water tank or a hot cylinder, have you?

What do you mean by "The boiler shuts down?"

What do you have to do to "get the hot water going again?"

It is delivering 5 litres a minute.
The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior combi MKIII, it was put in October 2011. The pressure gauge keeps dropping and at the moment it is less than 1 bar.
The hot water comes from the combi boiler and the cold bathroom taps come from a tank in the roof space of the block of flats. I am on the third floor.
The hot water goes cold and the flame goes out on the boiler, the taps are then turned off, turned back on again until the hot water is going again and then we then have to mess around trying to get a water temperature that is bearable. The temperature is either scalding hot or luke warm.
I have noticed in the kitchen that the flow of hot water is affected by putting the cold tap on and if you have the water on in the kitchen you get a worse flow in the bathroom. Thanks for your help

The hot water comes from the combi boiler and the cold bathroom taps come from a tank in the roof space of the block of flats.
that's the trouble then. You have unbalanced supplies. Not much chance of getting a mixer valve to give you a controllable temperature.

the cold needs to come off the incoming cold main, same as the kitchen cold tap does, so that it will be at the same pressure.

I presume it never worked properly since they day it was put in

btw you have a leak, perhaps on the radiator piping, or perhaps the pressure relief that goes through the wall behind the boiler is dripping. That's why the pressure keep dropping.

Don't get the previous plumber back, ask around for someone competent.

Sponsored Links
There has been a problem for ages, first tried a push on shower but that had the same problem with the hot water going off plus they used to blow off the taps. Thought a mixer tap would help but theres still a problem, I am unable to do any more about it because I live in council housing. Will getting a larger bore hose help any or a shower head for low pressure water supply. Thanks for helping.

I can't think of a way to fix it without plumbing work.

you could complain to the HA.

The boiler's shutting down when you're playing with it because the flow rate isn"t high enough. Try turning the boiler hot water temperature down a bit. That will increase the flow you require for your shower.

The boiler's shutting down when you're playing with it because the flow rate isn"t high enough. Try turning the boiler hot water temperature down a bit. That will increase the flow you require for your shower.

Unfortunately the hot water temperature on my boiler can not be adjusted, its set at 55 supposedly but it feels a lot hotter than that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back