Combi Boiler sounds like plane taking off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me? I have a Stelrad group Ideal Sprint F combi boiler and this year for the first time (since it has got cold) Whenever I turn on the hot water whether it is by tap or by shower, there is a noise emitted that sounds like an airoplane taking off. It isn't a nocking or a pinking, more sort of a whooshing. It echoes through the pipes in the house. I have been gettting plenty of hot water so it is heating up fine but still makes this noise. I have tried the CH side of the boiler and that doesnt create the noise, only on th ehot water side. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Not that I am aware of, however, I am going to check the water pressure tonight when I get home as I have been advised that it could be that if the water was cut off at some point then there may be an air gap in the system and that the water pressure may need to be increased. Any thoughts?

doubtful that you would get an airlock in a mains water supply, i was a thinking that maybe the pressure has increased and water hammer had occured,

try turning the mains stopcock down a bit if this works install and pressure reducing valve

Sponsored Links
I am fairly sure that there is an inline isolator (the sort that requires a screw turned through 90º turn to shut off the water) that I could probably use to reduce pressure if that is the case. I will try it tonight. Thanks

When you you say a plane is it simaler to an old bomber plane going overhead ,if so its usually the gas to water heat exchanger vibrateing due to primary temp to high often from a blockege or slow running pump,if so try cleaning out your system first with sentinel x400 or similar

Is that a cleaning solution like redex for a car? I have since bled the radiators to no effect.

COG said:
When you you say a plane is it simaler to an old bomber plane going overhead

Could it be Fithy is near a airport somewhere :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just got a Sprint going. 13 or so years old but hadn't been used since it was installed - the flat was left unrented all that time. I renewed the pump, diverter valve and secondary (tap hot water) heat exchanger.

How long has it been doing it? Did it start suddenly?

There IS a tap on the cold water input - blue handle like a washing machine, but the flow restrictor is on the diverter valve. Much lesslikely to leak!

Atthe top of the beast on the right there's an automatic air valve.. If it has scales up you could have an air pocket in your mainheat exchanger. the burning is faster on HW than heating so you might be getting near boiling in your H/E

The boiler burns more gas on HW than on CH, which could account for the noise difference.

X400 takes several weeks to do anyting much, though it IS gentle.

You could try Boiler Silencer (from Fernox, comes ina pack to use in a syring) which at least doesn't have to be drained out. (See the instructions)

If you need a dhwhe let me know. If your system is sludged up, by the way, you'd get very poor hot water flow.a

masona said:
Could it be Fithy is near a airport somewhere :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tanks for that Masona, at least that brought a smile to my face. I had the front off the boiler and I noticed that the noise was coming from the top end of it CHris. I think that your suggestion may be the most appropriate, but I am open to any suggestion. I could do without replacing the boiler as we are desperately saving to go to Florida and disney land in 2005 and it would break the kids hearts if they couldnt go due to this!

The noise came on gradually (my wife has more sensitive hearing than me!) but does sound like an old bomber going overhead.

Please excuse my ignorance (plumbing isnt my strong point) but what is a dhwhe? or is it a direct hot water heat exchanger? I have got full water flow and the system is working fine albeit noisely!

I will look at the boiler silencer as an option.

Thanks

Nice one chris, am not that not on sprints myself so ignore me ( most do I find :D )

here is a suggestion to increase the ambience of you noisy boiler.

when you about to have a shower don some flying goggles, a bomber jacket and a silk scarf with wire in it to arrange in a russ abbot style, whack on the theme from "dambusters" on the ol stereo, and just before getting say to the wife

"chocks away, smoke me a kipper i will be back for brekkie" you will find that your nieghbours will be under the impression that you have an ol AVRO lancaster in you kitchen :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back