Combi confusion and tap question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of queries.
1) I need to fix a leak on a rad pipe. Took a look at their Baxi combi boiler and to my surprise there was a red pressure vessel plumbed into the pipe work under the boiler. It looks to be connected directly to the filling loop. The owner stated that they had had trouble with pressure loss (probably caused by this very slow leak) and that this vessel was then fitted. Any ideas as to what is going on here? and will this complicate the usual process of draining down the system, repairing the leak and refilling the system?
2) Also I need to fit an outside tap which will have exposed pipe work running for about 8-10 ft. Any ideas as how to best reduce/prevent frost damage on any externally exposed pipe work?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I expect the expansion vessel was fitted with the intent of feeding the leak. One wonders why the leak itself was not repaired instead though.

But it could have been fitted because the one in the unspecified Baxi boiler had failed. Would you know how to check that?

I am not convinced that you have enough experience to do this kind of work on a commercial basis.

As far an outside tap 3 m away is concerned then nothing will protect it from frost if it has water in it unless the pipe is taken over 750 mm deep underground.

There are Water Regulations relating to mains supplied taps. I hope you know whats required! Have you got the qualification ? If not then strictly speaking you would need to have it inspected by the water supplier!

Tony

1. Fitting an external expansion vessel is absolutely fine, this is normal practise if the boiler has been installed making it difficult/impossible to remove the undersized/failed internal vessel.

2. Don't run water pipework externally!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back