Combi for shower HW only / keeping indirect cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting in a few quotes for a boiler replacement. Then current system is gravity HW/pumped CH. It's a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom.

I've discussed it with a heating engineer who reccommended a system or conventional boiler keeping the indirect cylinder rather than installing a combi, which seemed sensible enough.

I would like a decent shower with more pressure then the current 30cm head which I have right now, that will be unaffected by other hot taps being used.

I was considering a shower pump with a larger CW storage tank and separate flange from the cylinder.

But I am wonding if having a combi supplying DHW to a thermostatic shower valve exclusively, and keeping the cylinder for the rest of the HW might be a feasable idea (Use the combi with a Y or S plan). This would give me a decent shower and also allow an immersion to be used for HW in emergencies, and allow a bath to be run quickly from the HW cylinder.

Any thoughts? If it's a daft idea, please enlighten me.

Sponsored Links
hardly a daft idea
exept ;)

you use the combi for the kitchen/utility

and the cylinder for the bathroom/shower :cool:

reason

if a cold tap is turned on it won't affect the shower :idea:

Thanks kevplumb.

My main reason for this was to remove the need for a pumped shower though. Woman and I both like the pressure from a combi-fed shower, but we don't like it when another hot tap is used!

Would the shower flow be that much affected by turning on a mains cold tap? Engineer said mains pressure was 'decent', but he didn't measure it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back