Combi in Airing cupboard using remaining space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a new (small) Combi fitted in an upstairs airing cupboard.

What are the regs. for using the remining space, as I wish to continue to use this space for airing clothes and perhaps other storage (not petrol!! - i'm not an idiot)?

The cupboard is about 1 metre wide and .5 meter deep and 2.5m high, above the combi is an upward flue, the remaing space is not much but probaly a bit more than before when an immersion heater/tank was fitted.

Sponsored Links
if it is a room sealed boiler andas long as you leave the correct clearances around the boiler for servicing then you can put shelving in and put other bits in there except for the obvious flammables. check the manuf instructions for clearances and proximity to flue etc.... before you do anything.

Thanks for that Booka..

The boiler can be installed into a cupboard ("no cupboard ventilation required") with 2.5mm side clearanace, 100mm bottom clearance so I guess this is no big deal, any fittings would not be permanent, so servicing space would not be an issue, BS 6798 is quoted.
Can not find any refernce to internal vertical flue clearances, the flue appears to be double walled, if this extra info is any help

Unless regulations have been relaxed? it will be necessary to fit a removable metal cage around the boiler to prevent clothes and combustibles coming into contact with the boiler casing. there is a measurement for the clearance beetween the boiler and the cage but it is P****ng down with rain right now so I'm not going out to the van for my book O' words ! sorry! ;)

Sponsored Links
Boilerman2 is quite right , you have to cage the boiler off to keep things form touching it. I thought you meant just putting shelves up in the cupboard, not cramming it full with allsorts.

So what is the difference of something touching the casing and something not toucing, the casing does not get warm let alone hot and if flames are a leaping out of it or it explodes, there would be little difference in practice.
Has anyone really seen one of these 'cages' fitted in a domestic situation?

Please don't just quote 'rules' to me, I never obeyed one in my lifetime, i'm talking practicalities....

So what is the difference of something touching the casing and something not toucing, the casing does not get warm let alone hot and if flames are a leaping out of it or it explodes, there would be little difference in practice.
Has anyone really seen one of these 'cages' fitted in a domestic situation?

Please don't just quote 'rules' to me, I never obeyed one in my lifetime, i'm talking practicalities....

So why did you come on here asking what the Regs were? is that not the same as rules. Ignorance is bliss.

I expected that reply, but to me ignorance is ignorance...

It needs to have a fire resistant barrier between the boiler compartment and the space used for storage. You also need a notice clearly displayed in the boiler compartment stating that it shoudn't be used for storage.

I know this because I had a defect notice from gas safe stating it on an inspection of one of my installations.

Expanded metal cages in a white powder coated finish are widly availible to fit around boilers in airing cupboards to meet the installation & use requirements ;)

This is a classic case of regulations not keeping up with technology. A modern efficient boiler has a cool case, does not require compartment ventilation, and will not harm anything touching the case.

Yet the manufacturers of ancillary equipment ensure that their goods are still deemed necessary at law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back