Combi Install Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started fitting a new kitchen around a year ago and had a heating engineer in to fit the first fix gas pipe (while the floor was up) and discussed boiler and flue location etc. The pipework consisted of two soldered joints and two pulled bends (4m from meter to boiler). The other thing is when he went to test the pipework he had done the gas shut off valve engaged and he advised I would need to get the gas supplier out to reset the valve but he would take the cost off the bill. Ok so far.
I have since hung the boiler, connected up the heating and water pipes, had a roofer in to fit the flashing kit and loosely installed the flue to make the house weather tight.

Now over a year later I cannot contact him to do the final gas connection to boiler (200mm), make up flue joints and test-commission. All 3 three numbers disconnected. (I hope he has went out of business and not something more unfortunate)

What is the best way for me to proceed.

1) Get a new corgi man to complete the job. Then get the gas supplier out to turn on the gas. Then get the new corgi man to come back to test and commission. Will he test someone elses pipework? If not would he cutout the 2 joints redo and take responsibility? ( one joint is now under the floor, However is is available for inspection renewal with a 5m crawl under floor.) Even if the boiler needs to be removed to ensure is is supported adequately this is easy.

2) Get my gas supplier out to do everything.

For ref. Boiler Vaillant Ecotec plus 831, Gas pipe 4m 3 bends 22mm (one joint under floor), Flue fitted loose, all water connections made up and tested.

Am I likely to run into and problems with either route?
Am I going to have any problems with building control etc?
Which route will be cheapest or easiest.
And if anyone has a crystal ball? an estimated cost?

I can post pictures if you tell me what you want to see.

Thanks guys, long post I know.
Hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
When you say gas shut off valve, do you mean the governer, or the meter tripped?

I think your best bet is to get out another Corgi registered plumber and have him complete the work, after all the weather is very cold.

Did you pay the first plumber for all the work to be completed?

get the gas company to sort out the gas supply.

Get a willing corgi to connect it all up and test etc

John,
If I remember correctly I think he said Slam shut.
Its cold but I am living at my girlfriends. :D
Thats the other thing because the floor was up it only took him around an hour. So he said pay me when your heating is on... 1 year ago. I do feel a bit guilty.

JPC
This is my problem. A few years ago there was a gas leak in my area (while I was on holiday). When I got back my gas was isolated (midnight in november). I called the gas board and they said we will send someone out tomorrow to turn it on. Which they did. However before he would turn it on he wanted to check my old boiler which he did, turned it on and lit my boiler. So will they turn it on with no appliances connected, just untested pipework and a 22mm compression cap below by new uncommissioned boiler?.
Also my previous heating engineer said he would need the gas back on to test the pipework...... :confused:

Sponsored Links
You are entitled to your gas even with no appliances connected. But I don't understand, the gas board came and turned your gas back on, tested your boiler then turned it back off again?

There shouldn't be compression fittings on gas pipework too.

i dont know where they have turned it off...but yes.. they will turn it on at the meter and cap it there (disk cap in the pipe)...so you corgi man can come along and pipe up etc and do all relavent checks..

your corgi man removes the disk and hey presto,,gas flows through

Sorry John I may not have made my self clear. This was a few years ago with my old boiler and they did not turn it off again. I was just trying to clarify whether they could reset my slam shut without an appliance connected and just an untested compression cap end to protect my house from a gas leak. Also the gas valve that came with the boiler is compression? Obviously not the yorkshire express (press fit) type fitting that has been used for my water pipes.

JPC
Sorry for the confusion. The gas company has not capped or turned off my gas supply. The fitter made a mistake and triggered the "slam shut" he called it.

Makes you wonder what else they are getting told wrong at college if the basics such as this are being taught wrong or has someone not listened

Makes you wonder what else they are getting told wrong at college if the basics such as this are being taught wrong or has someone not listened

More likely a confusion about where the fitting is, i hope rather than a blanket can't use.

Sorry John I may not have made my self clear. This was a few years ago with my old boiler and they did not turn it off again. I was just trying to clarify whether they could reset my slam shut without an appliance connected and just an untested compression cap end to protect my house from a gas leak. Also the gas valve that came with the boiler is compression? Obviously not the yorkshire express (press fit) type fitting that has been used for my water pipes.

JPC
Sorry for the confusion. The gas company has not capped or turned off my gas supply. The fitter made a mistake and triggered the "slam shut" he called it.

Sorry to bump this guys but.
Given what I have said above Should I get the corgi fitter out first to complete work, then again to commission. Or get the gas on and have the corgi guy do both with one visit. Just I am not sure I am comfortable having the untested pipework live.

Thankyou for your help.
MON

Get hold of an other corgi rgi, explain to him as you have here and Im sure they would complete the installation for you.

Be warned though, they may want to remove boiler off the wall to check wallplate, they will install the tempary flue you fitted. Then fill, flush and commission the boiler. You could still be looking at a few hundred pounds for this work.

Good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back