Installing my own gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to bring up this perennial topic but I'm unsure as to the outcomes from other attempts at this topic.

I can (want to) install a central heating system. I can do all the (wet) plumbing to all the radiators, lift floorboards and cut joists ready to run gas pipes. I can also physically fit the boiler to the wall and carry out all necessary building work to accommodate the flue.
What I don't want to do is run or connect the gas pipework. I need someone to run the gas and test the safety of the boiler.

Am I being naive in thinking that I could do all the donkey work and then ask a gas safe engineer to do the gas work and therefore commission the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with what you intend to do,BUT you may struggle to find an RGI to commission as they have not done the rest of the work.

Thanks for your reply.
So, really it's more that its not financially worth their interest as I've done the work myself and commissioning is down to being a paid favor?
Be brutally honest to me!

You could run all the water pipes close to where the boiler will be and get them to fit the boiler and connect the final bit. Don't see how that would be different to replacing an existing boiler.

Sponsored Links
Just thought, am I getting confused here?
Is commissioning for the whole install or just the legal gas part? Can the two be separated?

Maybe I'm thinking certified rather than commissioned ? Can the installation be certified safe in so far as it won't leak gas or carbon monoxide?
I'm thinking the wet side, should it leak, is a mere inconvenience rather than lethal.

I feel I'm definitely getting somewhere here thanks to your replies.

I'm still confused as to if commissioning may be for the whole system rather than just the legal gas part.

You could go for an oil boiler or air source heat pump.
You don't need any specific qualifications to do that.

I feel I'm definitely getting somewhere here thanks to your replies.

I'm still confused as to if commissioning may be for the whole system rather than just the legal gas part.

It's all a bit of a nonsense really.
If you have connected pipes up to the boiler you have performed work on a gas appliance and therefore you need to be gas safe registered.

If only there was a garden! Sadly nowhere to put an oil tank.
Heat pump is an interesting idea to get around the legalities, but not sure how well they are at the hot water bit. I'm thinking combi boiler - didn,t mention it, sorry.

[quote="dcawkwell";p="3035805"}

It's all a bit of a nonsense really.
If you have connected pipes up to the boiler you have performed work on a gas appliance and therefore you need to be gas safe registered.[/quote]

Thanks, I understand, but:

If I made sure it all fitted together eg the pipes/connectors for the 'wet' side were in the right place and the wall mounts were in the right place, the hole for the flue was correct, then unscrewed the 'wet'connections, took it off the wall and laid it on the table.. would I be ok? Or does the gas safe installer have to drill the holes so he's happy they're in the right place?
I suppose what I'm asking is am I not to do any prep work for the boiler at all. If I can, how far can I go?

It's not just that its not financially viable but also a question of the overall quality of the installation and system design.
There is a lot more to it than people think.
Calculating the right size rads, choosing the best pipe runs, location of rads,choosing the best programmers/thermostats to suit your needs.
All these things come into the equation to ensure you have an efficient/cost effective system.

It's not just that its not financially viable but also a question of the overall quality of the installation and system design.
Calculating the right size rads, choosing the best pipe runs, location of rads,choosing the best programmers/thermostats to suit your needs.
All these things come into the equation to ensure you have an efficient/cost effective system.

So its more the whole system, rather than the legal safety stuff? A gas safe certification means that the heating system is adequate, not just 'legal'.

What are you talking about? A customer wants a commission on gas, flue, ventilation, safety etc. Nothing to do with efficiency or effective system.

They've chose to plump it, let them deal with it.

Breaking news.....

I've found someone who's prepared to test and certify the boiler.
His stipulation is that he runs all the gas pipework from meter to boiler, the boiler is connected to the wall and 'wet' side under his supervision, fired up and all the gas and flue checks are done by him.

I do believe this is more a favor, rather than saying 'no' and me trying to connect it myself. Don't worry I wouldn't

Got to say that I feel there should be an official path where the 'wet' side of an installation is accommodated. Although my worries over gas explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning completely stop me from 'crossing the line', I can understand others who feel they can buy a boiler from B&Q and install it. It would be better if testing this type of install was easy and failed if necessary. At least then you have a chance of getting it right and saving a great deal of money. Also, those installs that were unsafe and needed remedial action would be caught.

Rant over

If only there was a garden! Sadly nowhere to put an oil tank.

Don't regret the fact that there's nowhere to put an oil tank. The money you save using gas instead of oil over the years, would pay for a professional install of the whole system. Almost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back