Gas Hob Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting a new gas supply to a gas hob (t into existing 22mm supply to boiler) should the working pressure be taken at the meter and then at the boiler (with hob running full) to ensure the hob isn't causing a problem with the gas supply.

I had a gas fitter out today to install a new gas hob but he said all of the above and that the gas supply might need to be upgraded to ensure the correct volume of gas was reaching both boiler and hob.

Sponsored Links
He's right telling you that the gas pipe needs to be big enough to supply all appliances and that it needs upgrading if it isn't.

When testing gas pressures it is necessary to have all appliances running at full power.

Thats the worst case and measurements are then made at all points of the system to ensure everything is within the permissible tolerances.

Tony

Thanks for that, so he's on the ball then.

He mentioned calculating pipe work length and fittings and trying to work out volume on existing service before he would entertain installing a hob.

Only other option is electric hob I guess.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have an engineer who knows what he is talking about stick with him and get the job done right, you will get posters on here saying that you only need 3 of the 4 rings on but please discard that yes the regs say that but stick with the bloke who put you right

Good to hear,

Think I'll give him a bell in the morning and get him to go ahead with pricing.

Thanks for the input.

B

you will get posters on here saying that you only need 3 of the 4 rings on but please discard that yes the regs say that but stick with the bloke who put you right

The traditional way to check the working pressure was to run three burners on the hob.

But I don't think that it says anywhere that pipe sizes should ever be calculated on anything less than the maximum power of all appliances and even based on the maximum possible power of the boiler even if its been range rated lower.

So anyone saying only three burners is likely to be completely wrong.

I even had a CORGI inspector who did not understand how the pressure loss on pipework should be calculated. He has retired now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back