combi still locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
halstead ace 7 yrs old (alledgedly! :eek: ) put in new thernistas both ch and dwh. Was ok ferra week but now locks out on ch after 1/2 hr and provides dhw for 2 minutes but only lukewarm even with dhw temp control up full. Come to think of it, bath has only ever filled to a reasonable temperature if mixer is on full hw and only partially opened.... teks an eternity to fill bath now we can only have very quick showers before enduring sum sorta eye popping cold water torture.

System was badly sludged up but as i was refurbishing the house only flushed thru rads individually and put sludge remover in last week... have drained down, put in inhibitor and bled all rads in sequence so no air locks.

Had corgi reg'd fella come out and put in new heat retardant lining in combustion chamber as old stuff had deteriorated and in places fallen off wall of chamber and was obstructing burners/jets.... mate suggested summat about diverter valve???? :?:

ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

Sponsored Links
bump!? is that a technical term? jargon for its kapput and halseads are unreliable etc ect??? av a fella comin over tuesday pm 2 look at it 4 me...
when house purchased was no service history or installation/commisioning log. looks mean and nasty 2 me.

please elaborate kev.... im having cold showers and having serious thoughts about joining the priesthood :eek:

Sponsored Links
ahaaaaa thanks fer the advice.... I'll maither ma g/f on how to do it cos am poo poo with pcs.

As for the boiler prob.....????

If anyone has any suggestions/diagnostic possibilities as to the fault would welcome advice. Dont wanna spend £ on temporary solutions if a new boiler is really what is needed. :D

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa well ya learn summat new........

just posting another reply sends it back to the top

well i never!!!!!!

think that earns me a choccy bickie!!! yum yum!!

Sounds as if the secondary heat exchanger is blocked on the primary side.

Tony

grand soooooooooooooooooo!!!! at least ive got an idea so i dont get ripped off.
cheerz fella :D

only had one problem with halsteads going to lock out, and i've cleaned out the venturi on the fan.

I'll go along with Tony....I have one of these and the secondary heater exchanger blocks on the primary side (the two holes at the front as you look at the thing installed in the boiler).....you'll probably find the junk on the right hand hole as you look at it as this is the place where I believe the CH water enters. A clean and you should be okay but take care and fit some sort of inline cleaner on the CH return pipe if the problem keeps reoccurring. I take it the Central heating is okay ?

nope... ch and dwh locking out. Have had a mate over from Bolton (he now British gas) to have a look. Whomsoever installed it (previous house owner) by the look of things hasnt ever had it serviced. Theres no installation/commisioning log or record. Mate rang Halstead tecnical advice line... no record of installation of boiler (serial number supplied)
Supply is on 15mm copper, only gettin 12-14 mbs on feed should be 21 mbs.... even tho suppy at meter is high enough. There was also a 3mb leak on a capped end in the cellar to where i presume there was a feed to a wall hung gas fire previous to ch being installed. So basically its been peddling uphill all these years. Also blow off was illegal not angled to wall and also should have been extended to within 6 inches of ground as it is adjacent to a communal garden shared with 3 other properties.
Gas is now capped as its dangerous (gas valve may stick open if gas drawn off to all burners on hob and oven)???? So no boiler. Leak sorted out so at least we have oven and hob, but are strip washing at the kitchen sink with water from the lecky kettle.
Thankfully kitchen floor can be got at so will run new 22m and realign pipes for ch dhw and flow and return. Mate will solder all pipes and do the neccesary gas (including newe t for hob/built under cooker) and flue connections next Saturday. In the mean time will post new thread re boiler recommendations. :mad: :mad:
Thanx fer da reccommendations fellas
moocho appreciated
gotta go and buy a new boiler

So what about the boiler repair?

Keep all your postings here on the topic of your boiler.

You may remember all of it but we dont!

Tony

8) Next time you buy a house get your vendors to produce a gas safety certificate, or pay for it your self. theres some real horror stories waiting to happen.

well kev house was purchased as a fixer upper has needed drastic improvement most rooms back to brick rewire plaster skirt n arch etc etc just wish I upped the gas from 15mm to 22mm cos now i gotta take up kitchen flooring grrrrrrrrr!!!! b4 u ask structural survey fine... i paid £500 for it. (survey that is not house..lol) so????
Boiler has peeeved me so much will bite bullet n gerra new un. Like I said old 1 is in a dire state. Intend to sell on when complete anyway as work is just pickin up and house nearly completed. (moved from Bolton to Sheff cos g/f got promoted and she earns more ££ than me)
At least gas safety cert and install/comm certification will be up 2 date for when we sell up and move on.
All I need now is recommendations ferra new condensin..... put new biasi combi in last property but will need 2 put condenser in this 1.
Might go ferra biasi B&Q special at less than £500 but then av account at local plumbers merchants and theyre doin Ferroilis at a good price.....
any feedback folks???? gratefully appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back