Combi with an Immersion Cylinder as back up?

Is it possible to put an Immersion Cylinder in to a Combi System?
I've had a look at the Valiant 937 with 2 small Stainless Steel storage vessels but they do seem small and you can't get an electric back up of an Immersion.
It would be nice to still have hot water if the boiler fails.
Any suggestions?

Fit two combis they are cheap enough. Then CH and DHW backup.

One combi doing upstairs CH one down - natural zoning on separate time zones. Separate showers, one on each combi, and join outlets for baths only, using check valves and shock arrestor. Very cost effective.

Forget all this space consuming cylinder and tank nonsense!!!

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a small (Vaillant) combi for supply of water to kitchen (and/ or utility room) and cylinder delivering hot water to bathroom/ wash areas?

Then go on to split the heating load into two (sleeping and living areas) to give you three zones. I have such an installation powered by an elderly Vaillant VCW 242. Heating zones are controlled by programmable roomstats and TRVs fitted only where the rooms will pick up heat from other sources.

Why not fit a small (Vaillant) combi for supply of water to kitchen (and/ or utility room) and cylinder delivering hot water to bathroom/ wash areas?

Then go on to split the heating load into two (sleeping and living areas) to give you three zones. I have such an installation powered by an elderly Vaillant VCW 242. Heating zones are controlled by programmable roomstats and TRVs fitted only where the rooms will pick up heat from other sources.

What does the shower?

Your combi is old, so maybe a low DHW flowrate. When replacing fit a highflow combi and get rid of the cylinder

What does the shower?

Your combi is old, so maybe a low DHW flowrate. When replacing fit a highflow combi and get rid of the cylinder

Or fit a Glenhil sludge bucket and burn the place down :cool:

Sponsored Links
Or fit an unvented cylinder a blow the place down complete with family.

Unless it's an Alpha CD50, which contains an small unvented cylinder, no immersion back-up, but guaranteed not to blow the place down.

How?

Not sure. Maybe it's exempted by Drivel after he accidently recommended before Googling the info on it.

2 Combis seems extravagant.
So it's a Valiant 937 or put in a conventional sealed system. Is there any wisdom and what way it should all be assembled on the wall. (I mean what's lowest to highest for Boiler, Cylinder, expansion and Feed tank) assuming I can find a cylinder to go through the 450mm door.

It isn't it is cheap and gives CH zoning.

So it's a Valiant 937 or put in a conventional sealed system. Is there any wisdom and what way it should all be assembled on the wall. (I mean what's lowest to highest for Boiler, Cylinder, expansion and Feed tank) assuming I can find a cylinder to go through the 450mm door.

The size of a washing machine. and not cheap at all.

You want back up don't you?. The title of the thread. Combis are cheap. Two combis is still very cheap.

Combis are cheap.

The Alpha CD50 is not cheap (but needs drain line etc...), but you could try one and put an electric shower as back-up. If boiler fails it's only 'till fixed and with cold feed appliances, kettle for washing cups, the only real urgency is for showering/bathing.

Combis are cheap.

The Alpha CD50 is not cheap

Two smaller combis are. Two smaller combis are about the same price and cheaper than a system boiler and unvented cylinder. When you have zoning then far cheaper.

but you could try one and put an electric shower as back-up.

Or better still an instant water heater in the DHW outlet of the combi, which will give a backup shower and DHW at a tap or two. Electric showers are made by Satan and should not used permanently. When you have combi that is brill for showers it is foolish to have an electric shower. They also cost 4 time more to run.

Electric showers are made by Satan and should not used permanently. When you have combi that is brill for showers it is foolish to have an electric shower. They also cost 4 time more to run.

Hence the suggestion to use it as a back-up, you tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back