Combimate & Powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice thinking of getting one of the above fitted as we live in Norfolk and have just had our 3rd heat exchanger fitted so would one of these help was thinking of getting one that covers the whole house.Any advice greatly received also anyone local who could give a price for fitting would be great to.

Thanks
Mike. :D

Sponsored Links
Norfolk is very soft water usually.

Are you quite sure its lime scale spoiling the plate HE ?

Much more likely is system dirt !

Then you would need a Magnaclean or similar magnetic filter!

Tony

You'd be better off just having the Powermax ripped out and replaced with something more reliable, they're hateful things that break down a lot and parts are expensive

Hi

No unfortunaly we have some of the hardess water in the country. And yes i know the powermax is crap but its under a BG service plan and is still going but the BG man suggested this as it might help the lime scale and even though it does not cost us anything the hassle of a new heat exchanger every year is starting to be come a pain.

Mike

Sponsored Links
What town village are you located?

Are you sure you dont have any dripping hot taps or leaking hot pipes?

You can check that by feeling to see if hot outlet pipe is hot for far when no hot water has been used for a hour or so.

Tony

Hi
We are in Dereham Norfolk and there should be no problems with pipe work etc as BG man was here for 3 hours yesterday sorting the heat exchanger etc . It was him who suggested the combination but don't want to have it fitted if its not going to help.

Mike.

Norfolk is very soft water usually.
No its not.

Dereham, Watton, Attleborough etc are notoriously hard water areas.
Any thing you can do to combat this will help your situation.

Only the permanent magnet or the Siliphos types are effective to a degree.

London is said to be hard water but that is not hard enough to cause a problem with boilers ( unless there is a fault on the boiler or a dripping tap ).

Tony

Well those areas of Norfolk are hard, and those who work there would have had a lot of the same problems.

Hi
Have thought about a water softener but unfortunately there is not a great deal of space in the cupboard under the sink so thought the combii mate was another option that might help. Would a softener be much more money?.

Mike.

a real softener will cost some hundreds of pounds.

My incoming water main rises through the garage floor, so my softener is there, out of the way.

Hi

Well had a quote from BG to fit one which seems a bit high anyone local give me a price?.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back