Combis & Zone valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Looking to replace my existing Boiler (Potterton Kingfisher). Just to give some background ~ Chalet Bungalow ~ 4 beds 3 bath (only 1 actual bath the other two electric showers off, the mains.).

Plus CH which needs to be in 2 zones (part of the house needs heating for a lot longer than the rest. The main zone that requires the longer period of heat is 5 rads (approx (guess) 16000 btu’s and the rest is 7 rads.

The main question is that the last guy I had around to look at it said I can’t put in a Combi because it can’t work with zone valves? Is that right?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sponsored Links
No problem zoning a combi system!
I suggest you find a competent installer!

You can have as many zones as you want, and if you plan it right, common areas which come on with any zone.

Sponsored Links
OK So to follow on from that. What’s the consensus regarding weather compensation?

Combi likely to be Vaillant 831/837.

Mike

There might be a way to do it with aforementioned setup, but I am sticking with two progstats connected to two two port valves. At present I have a Vaillant VCW242 with three zones (third zone to cylinder). New 831 will be taking over to power the two zones once system has been cleaned.

Prognosis with weather compensation is you can't use it with a zoned system - assuming you want the Vaillant WC system.

Furthermore, if you want multiple zones because of differing heat loss, WC will not be a sensible upgrade. It needs a system with a uniform heatloss to deliver results.

Prognosis with weather compensation is you can't use it with a zoned system - assuming you want the Vaillant WC system.

The Glow Worm Ultracom CXi boilers (owned by Vaillant) can have Weather compensation and zoning.

Furthermore, if you want multiple zones because of differing heat loss, WC will not be a sensible upgrade. It needs a system with a uniform heatloss to deliver results.

That is not exactly true, as long as local temperature trimming control is fitted.

Protherm, Heatline and Glowworm are all owned by Vaillant.

They all address parts of the market that Vaillant doesn't. If the customer wants an ecoTEC that's probably because it is distinctly better made.

Protherm, Heatline and Glowworm are all owned by Vaillant.

They all address parts of the market that Vaillant doesn't. If the customer wants an ecoTEC that's probably because it is distinctly better made.

Or has an image. The Glow Worm has the stainless Gianonni heat exchanger and most other parts are good quality too. The boiler's controls were redesigned (the hydroblock) after Vaillant got their hands on Glow Worm and the boiler renamed the Ultracom. A well made, reliable boiler.

Not being an installer you wouldn't know about the in service problems, then?

Not being an installer you wouldn't know about the in service problems, then?

You don't need to ripup floorboards to know.

I reiterate, "The boiler's controls were redesigned (the hydroblock) after Vaillant got their hands on Glow Worm and the boiler renamed the Ultracom. A well made, reliable boiler." That clearly indicates I knew of the early problems.

The earlier versions had free updates of some parts, like replacing the plastic hydro blocks to brass.

What can you tell us about the pump bearings then?

Or was that not in the press releases?

What can you tell us about the pump bearings then?

Or was that not in the press releases?

I don't know what was in the press releases. What did yours say?

They have changed the pump from a Grundfos to a Wilo.

BTW, I do not have to justify anything to the likes of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back