commercial smoke detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wondering if anyone could help me i have bought an old B&B which has a comercial fire alarm system in i want to take one of the smoke detectors out of a small bedroom and leave all the others working and turn it into a wet room it seems to have two cables coming in each with a red and black wire but one of the black wires has a red sheath on it i cant figure out what to do with the wires thanks in advance kev

Sponsored Links
Get someone in, so many different cabling methods and systems. If old I would have expected mineral, but sounds like you have not got that. For fire definitely do not get into diy for that, especially if you are remaining a commercial premises

Hi no it is not going to be a commercial property just a private home just wanted the rest of the smoke detectors to work cheers kev

Remove the smoke and joint it through , sounds like PF200 if it's red ( not orange) get a galvanised thro- box 2 glands and a lid ,if it's done correctly the fire alarm should bring up fault when the head is removed and should clear when you have finished the joint .

Sponsored Links
hi do you mean join the two black wires (one with a sleeve of red) together and the two red wires together thanks kev

Ok it's an old firedex panel so it will be 24 volts yes just join red to red and black to black and the earth's together ...would also look at replacing the batteries as Texecom haven't made batteries for a few years ..

Hi thanks for the information i have joined up the wires and swithed on the panel and it is showing no faults i have ordered a smoke drtector smoke so i can tell if the other smoke alarms are working lt also had a resistor in it but stupid me lost it do i need to put one in for the other smoke drtectors to work if so what one would it be and which wire does it go on
cheers
kev

Look in another one, most common are 680ohms and 470ohms does it show on the diagram in the panel ? Was it on the wires ? Or to a separate terminal as it may have been the resistor for a remote indicator ...

Hi
it was on the wires connecting two of them cant remember if it was red or black wires have had no trouble with the panel yet but cant tell if the smoke alarms are actually working till i get the smoke detector teaster smoke
cheers
kev

Hi
ihave now got my smoke detector smoke and tested all the other smoke detectors and they all work and no fault is showing on the panel so i take it will be ok without a resistor on the wires i have joined together where i took the smoke detector out
cheers
kev

The resistor is probably just for the detector instead of a dead short , it gives a short with the value of 470 or 680 ohms . Did you replace the batteries ?

hi
no i havent replaced the batteries they are working fine smoke detectors still work with the power turned off
cheers
kev

How long did you have the power off for ? 4 + hrs ... At the end of the day it's your life and if it's not worth £20 for a couple of batteries .... Just a point !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back