Communal aerial - how would you deal with it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just discovered that on our new house, the only aerial is on next doors chimney - not a problem, as we would probably erect our own.

However the house on the other side also shares this aerial, which means their cable is on our soffits and runs across our property.

We are about to have all this replaced.

Should we be refixing their cable to our new soffits (not too sure how mind as it will be upvc and not wood) - or should we be asking them to remove said cable?

Should it get damaged by accident, are we responsible for this cable?

I have not come across this before.

BTW - it is a pretty small aerial, and probably rather old, so no idea if it is digital, but guess it must be - although pretty ropey I would imagine.

Sponsored Links
What were the Replies to Enquiries before Contract regarding cables or other services running across the property? Did your solicitor check for easements or wayleaves?

None as far as I know - mind you it was probate and I am not sure the sellers would even have known themselves.

Not sure what 'Did your solicitor check for easements or wayleaves' is to be honest :(

I would call on the neighbours and say what you are about to get done and say what your worries are. You may find no longer used. You may also find out why. It may be your house is shielded from the transmitter and using the one aerial is only way to peep around some building or mountain.

You may find sky has now replaced it and no longer used. It would be a good way to meet the neighbours anyway.

The law is not really the issue. You need to get on with neighbours.

Sponsored Links
If there are any easements or wayleaves on the property, these will show up as annexes to the deeds. (An easement is where a service or access to another property passes over your property and a one-off payment has been made. A wayleave is similar, but there is a recurring payment, usually annually - or that's how I understand it)

Have you spoken to your neighbours about it? Were all the properties at one time Local Authority properties, and are any still LA? If so, when the aerial system was installled (probably by the LA) there would have been no need for an easement/wyleave, as all properties were in the same ownership.

Edit I also agree with EricMark's points re: talk to the neighbours. I must learn to type faster!!!

Sounds like a bonkers set up to me, especially when you think that when installing the coax that they would be clambering all over your property.

Curious as to the question already asked i.e. was permission and or wayleave/easement granted by previous owners?

Look for sky dishes or feeds in for cable TV. If either now exist, there is every chance the aerial feeds aren't being used.

Thanks for the replies.

It was originally council properties - all now privately owned to my knowledge.

So the setup is clearly from those days.

It would appear that the one aerial is serving the terrace of 5 properties and is on the middle house.

Nothing was mentioned in the deeds or anywhere else, so I guess it is just one of those established things.

Haven't spoken to them yet, but plan to today.

First time I have come across this sort of setup.

Of course there is nothing to say that the neighbour with the aerial will even keep it on his roof or maintain it in the event of damage.

Speak to the guy who has it on their roof - there must be a booster up there, and he may have disconnected it already so the aerial is not doing anything!

If not, he is paying (albeit a few pence a month) for everyone else s TV distribution

I once had one of these, a massive coax cable running through the loft.
I tested the spur off of it - nowt.
I asked the neighbours and they all said it did not work and that they had their own aerials up.

So I put my own up, cut the cable and removed it.
18 months later the neighbour the other side accused me of cutting it because his sky had gone off and he had to try the aerial (first time try) and it was all my fault.

Told him it did not work and to sod off.

Ask your neighbours if they actually use it, if they do not feel free to remove it permanently, if they do then you may consider asking them if they want to put up their own aerial. A pin through the coax before the job is done will make it have poor reception for them and encourage them to have their own aerial.

Unless they are still council in which case they will come and fit them one or tell them to do it themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back