Communal Staircase Lighting Timer Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace an existing Electro Mechanical Sangamo Solar Dial timer with an electronic timer i bought from RS-Components (505-9833, MLU2 7 day 1 channel digital timer).

The existing timer has Live and Neutral (Red and Black) wires going in and Live and Neutral (Red and Black) coming out. There is also the usual Green/Yellow earth going into the Existing Timer.

The connections for the new RS timer are as follows:

1 & 2 are shown going to a timer symbol, which i assume will be straight forward (1 = Live (Red) and 2 = Neutral (Black)).

My main question is to do with the outputs which are 6, 7 & 8. 7 appears to be the Common which is shown as the switching arm to 6 with no connection to terminal 8. Anyone help me out with to where the existing outgoing Live and Neutral wires from old sangamo timer should go on the new RS timer? I'm assuming 7 is the common therefore also assuming 6 is normally open and 8 normally closed?

Cheers View media item 26341 View media item 26341

Sponsored Links
I would say 7 is common, 6 is normally closed, and 8 is normally open.

Strap 1 to 6, this is permanent live,

8 should be switched live to lights

2 should be neutral.

How do you know Owain that the live should be linked between two terminals??? if there is a live and neutral going in and then a live and neutral going out there is the possibility that the black and red going out are infact a live and an unmarked switched live. By teling him to link them together you have potentially created a fatal situation as you may have backfed a circuit causing the isolation of one circuit to leave the timer energised from the other

Please check your facts before advising people of how to wire up things

Nick

How do you know Owain that the live should be linked between two terminals??? if there is a live and neutral going in and then a live and neutral going out there is the possibility that the black and red going out are infact a live and an unmarked switched live. By teling him to link them together you have potentially created a fatal situation as you may have backfed a circuit causing the isolation of one circuit to leave the timer energised from the other

That is a possibility if the timer motor and the lights are on separate circuits, yes.

Sponsored Links
My point exactly, you have advised without gaining the facts first, besides which it would likely blow the fuse/MCB and or possibly damage the timer .

Nick

Thanks for your replies folks, i decided against doing the alterations myself and got an fully qualified electrician to do it for us. I don't mind doing things myself but when i had no real idea about timer and with it affecting other people thought it safer to just get it done right first time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back