Timer in lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to install a timer to control the lights in our front room in addition to the existing light switch. We have 12 x 50 watt (mains) down-lights so this is too much for any timer that simply fits in place of the existing wall switch, at least more than one I can find!

So I thought I would buy a standard timer switch (eg for an immersion heater - havent bought one yet). I have access to the ceiling rose from above so will site the timer in the room above.

I obvious will take the live and neutral feeds for the timer from the ring terminals on the rose. The live output from the timer can return to the rose terminal that is the return from the existing wall switch (i.e. connected to that room's lights).

It seems to me, I can ignore the output neutral terminal from the timer, as the room lights will be able to return neutral by the existing wiring.

Have I got that right? - its just it seems odd to only use one of the output terminals from the timer.

Mant thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah sounds ok.

Alternatively you could change some of them to led but not all if you want a light switch timer to work.

Yes, that's right.

The timer is just a switch that requires its own neutral to power the clock.

It's slightly strange that you require a timer for the front room lights.

If I understand you correctly, with the wiring you describe, the light switch and time switch would be 'in parallel'. That means that if the light were 'on' by virtue of either switch (manual or timer), the other switch could not turn it off.

Is that the functionality you want? If you wanted 'the other functionality' (such that either manual switch or timer could turn off the light, regardless of setting of the other), then you would have to wire the switches slightly differently ('in series'), but you would then not be able to turn the light on with one switch if the other were 'off'.

If you wanted true 'two-way switching' (like landing/hall switches), so that either switch could switch on or off, regardless of the other, it would get more complicated, and could not be achieved with most standard immersion-type timers (since one would need a timer with 'two-way switching').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
600 watts of lighting in one room! Glad I don't pay your electricity bills.

Either it's a room the size of an aircraft hangar or a fool designed the lighting.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Yes I was planning to have it in parallel to the existing switch. The idea is to have it set so the light goes on in evening when we are out. I can always override it if necessary with an isolation switch.

And yes, it is a lot of light. We have a wall knocked down so it is a through room, and perhaps we were a bit generous with the number of lights we fitted.

I was thinking this over and wondering if it was possible to buy instead a timer relay switch. In that way, I would only need to disturb the existing light circuit on the cable to the switch, and could power the timer side from an upstairs mains circuit, or even plug in at the wall. Would this be an idea and are such 240v relay timer switches available?
Many thanks

I have a feeling they must be downlighters, which are not a good source of light.

Why haven't you invested in energy-saving lamps yet?

If you want lights to come on and go off when you are out, a hundred times easier and far cheaper is to use table lamps or standards, in wall sockets with a plug-in timer.

table lamps also provide greater flexibility in lighting per mood or time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back