Completly clean central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have removed a radiator today to do some decorating, and i noticed that the water that came out, was completly clean, like tap water.

I expected some signs of rust as the system is at least twenty years old.?

I am worried that somewhere in the system, there is contamination between the main water supply and the central heating e.g. hot water system.

Anyone any advice?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
danlightbulb said:
I am worried that somewhere in the system, there is contamination between the main water supply and the central heating e.g. hot water system.
Highly unlikely. :!:
What type of system have you got. :?:

The system is the normal 2 tank system, with a hot water header tank feeding the hot water storage cylinder, and a separate header tank feeding the central heating/boiler.

The hot water from the boiler goes round a coil inside the hot water cylinder.

I removed a downstairs radiator and the water was completely clear and no smell of any corrosion inhibitor.

Cheers

danlightbulb said:
a separate header tank feeding the central heating/boiler.

This water could not mix with any water from another source.
It sounds like you have got a very clean system. :D
Why not drain it all and add Fernox inhibitor to keep it in top condition :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds too good to be true to be honest.

What if the coil inside the hot water cylinder was split? Water could then travel between systems?

danlightbulb said:

There is no possibility of mains water contamination as your F/e tank only allows in what is needed to top up.
If you are worried that the coil may be split, tie up your (F/E) float valve and see if the level of F/e water goes down. If so the water will travel up to the dhw cistern and probably overflow. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back