compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

are the compression fittings used for water the same for gas, except that for water you can use ptfe tape and for gas you use something like wickes joining compound for a gas tight seal ?...ta :?:

Sponsored Links
Fittings are the same though, the fact that you need to ask these questions does suggest that you may not be competent to work on gas installations ;)

... and you don't use PTFE tape on compression fittings - that's why there's an olive in there.

... and you don't use PTFE tape on compression fittings - that's why there's an olive in there.

You can wrap a couple of turns of ptfe around the olive, the same as using jointing compound, it guarantees the joint will not leak.

Sponsored Links
there are varying answers regarding ptfe tape, some people say you can use it some say you dont...i always used as it makes the seal more secure...im very good at soldering as i need to extend the gas pipe from my old kitchen to my new kitchen, basically its a straight run of about 15ft....then down the wall along the bottom and to where the gas cooker is going to be...but because its gas im not gonna attempt it myself, even though i can do it...the reason i asked is because there are two types of compression fittings..some used for gas some for water..and also something to do with "flared " fittings...

>as Breesey said if you can't seal a compression without ptfe tape then you've squashed the olive, not done it tight enough or pipe is damaged.

as for people that wind loads of ptfe tape round the thread on a compression joist i'll never understand. :eek:

>as Breesey said if you can't seal a compression without ptfe tape then you've squashed the olive, not done it tight enough or pipe is damaged.

as for people that wind loads of ptfe tape round the thread on a compression joist i'll never understand. :eek:

Quite!! It was the common diy practice of putting PTFE around the threads that I was refering to :)

I must admit that a smear of Swan seal around the olive is always a nice assurance. ;)

[quote="hi-spec plumbing heating";p="707428] the thread on a compression joist i'll never understand. :eek: [/quote]

Are the guidlines for notching compression joists the same as for your common joist. :LOL:

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back