Compression Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me ??? How safe is it to use 15mm compression fittings as gas fittings ??? or is it much safer to have the joints soldered ???

Sponsored Links
the way your question is worded ipmlies that you are going to use which ever the answer is, to that i would say, you dont, you have to be corgi registered to work on gas, unless that is you are acops, or want to blow your self and you family / neighbours up

Years ago (when people were allowed to do things before half-wits started to bring legal actions for negligence having fallen over a cobweb because they were not competent to put one foot in front of the other when walking, and anything happened to them was obviously sombody elses fault and never theirs, and in the days before danger warnings were printed on cups of coffee that they were hot and likely to scald if poured onto gonads) the joints used on lpg (Calor Gas sounds safer doesn't it?) were compression joints.

The joints on my blowlamp are jubilee clips!!

There's still arguments whether you have to be CORGI registered to work on gas. You just don't have to have explosions.

Maybe I should have explained better in my post. I've almost fitted our new kitchen. I contacted a registered corgi fitter last night to come and swap over our gas fitting, from a normal cooker fitting, to a fitting for a hob. I explained to the fitter that it needed doing this morning because the guy's were coming at lunch time to cut and fit our worktops, and, that the original brass fitting would'nt revolve in order to be removed after the worktop was fitted. So, he's been this morning and removed the old one and replaced it with a new one, but, because for obvious reasons the hob can't be fitted untill the work top is fitted and cut out, the new gas fitting/pipe has been capped off with a compression fitting rather than being soldered, which refers to my original question. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's fine ......compression fittings can be used on gas as long as they are accessible.Saves having to remove and replace the meter for the temporary job you have.

Compression fittings for gas are no problem, so your compression cap end that has been installed is OK.
Both soldered and compression fittings are sutiable for gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back