Compression joint nightmare ! Gutted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just spent the last 4 hours plumbing in a new Radiator by extending the pipes (from within the cellar). Each pipe has been extended however, 3 out of the 4 compression couplers have a slight drip coming from them! Gutted!

What have I done wrong - have I tightened them too stong, or not strong enough (I know you've got to be careful of the olives - not doing it too tight!) Hope I don't need to re-drain the central heating again... does anyone have any suggestions to what I've done wrong?

Any help appreciated !

Thanks, Johno.

Sponsored Links
A smear around the olive and a tad on the thread (to reduce friction) is all you need

Thanks for the prompt reply... :)

Do you suggest I re-drain the system and purchase new olives too?

Would tightening the joints be worth trying first?

thanks again!

No need to drain down...plug feed and vent...pull a vacuum.

Depends if you've mullered the olives.

Sponsored Links
What size pipe is it? Did you use any type of joint sealant or just dry connections?

What I should do is drain the system down, split the couplers, and apply a couple of turns of ptfe tape on the fitting side olive/pipe joint. In other words where the olive hits the coupler body, lay the ptfe half on the olive, half on the pipe. You don't need any sealant on the thread of the fitting except for lubrication, as GG says. I don't think it's really necessary. Tighten the coupler firmly but not excessively, especially if the pipe is less than 15mm. Do all the joints whilst you're at it, all eight of them.

I would also apply the same technique on any other joints you have made or loosened.

Always worth giving it a little nip, no more than a quarter turn. Compression joints don't need to be tightened up to the max, hand tight then 3/4 of a turn or so. You may have trouble removing the olive and it will be squeezed onto the pipe, might need an olive puller or chop the end off and start again. Also make sure you have a clean cut pipe and the joint is on square.

hey guys - just a quick update to say that I have managed to sort it out. I disconnected all valves, checked that they were all okay, dressed the olives in PFTE tape and made sure that the joints were properly tightened. Looking back I think I didn't tighten them enough...

Thanks for all of your posts, I got there in the end and almost gave up and called in the Plumber!!!

Now my dining room is too hot!

Thanks again! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back