Country
United Kingdom
dangerous ?

illegal ?

should I worry ?

its a new spur for a gas fire -just fitted

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Sponsored Links
Compression joints can only be used on gas where they are accessible so under floors is not allowed.

Sponsored Links
should have said 'under a tiled floor'

if its new get the cowboy back to change it and pay for all the additional costs incurred, if he wont come back or you dont know who done it get it done by a registered gas engineer, it shouldnt be there and will only get worse and maybe leak, it aint gonna get any better than it is, however there are many 1000's of compression fittings under floors and not causing any problem but it doesnt make it right and i wouldnt leave it in my house

Thanks guys - might be tricky getting him back - I don't know if the builder did it himself - or if he used a 'gas safe' plumber/fitter ?

Thanks guys - might be tricky getting him back - I don't know if the builder did it himself - or if he used a 'gas safe' plumber/fitter ?

surely a builder would not do any gas work himself :eek:
if you think it was done by a builder get someone in to check everything over for you

So a general builder ws engaged to carry out gas work? Great idea. Lets hope he was cheap..

So a general builder ws engaged to carry out gas work? Great idea. Lets hope he was cheap..
Bit of an assumption to assume a) he was cheap and b) we thought he would do the work personally and not sub the gas work out to someone qualified .....

Compression joints can only be used on gas where they are accessible so under floors is not allowed.

Accessible you just have to move the floorboard. :D
But it's a bad idea. Soldered joints.

According to B.S. 6891 section 7.3 Compression joints should only be used where they are readily accessible.

The guidance then states that pipes under floors are not considered to be readily accessible.

Thanks guys - does B.S. 6891 section 7.3 C give a reason for them not being used ?

I will ask him on Monday and would like some ammo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back