Concealed Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Wanted a bit of advice really, I have a combi boiler and currently and an electric shower is in place. I would liek to install a concealed mixer shower unit - but have a few questions before I make a purchase :)

I will be able to re-route the exisiting cold water feed pipe but can I run a T joint from the hot water pipe from the bath to supply the hot water from the combi boiler? is there any issues i should consider about doing this if it is possible.

Also have noticed that the hot water pipe does not have an isolation valve insatlled - is it straightforward to install one?

Im sure ill have a few other questions but cant think of any right now - any advice form others who might have tackled the same job, much appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yes t straight off hot supply.

isolation valves. isolate your main stopcock then you can work on your hot feed to install an isloation valve.
just remember that when you cut the pipe it will have water still inside.
if it's lower than any tap you'll have to cut it over a bowl or rags.

try fit full bore lever valves better than the cheap ones you get in diy stores

wicked thanks for the advice - ill definately purchase those isolation valves, the one ones with the little black lever?

Great advice on the pipe being full of water too, ill get some rags and bowls in :) I noticed that the hot water pipe is alot bigger maybe its 22mm is there something or some pipe to condense it down to a 15mm to plumb into the mixer.

Also, sorry i did say id remember some questions, my plan is to rreplace the bath and plum in the mixer at the same time, should i use compression or push fit? for the laying out the pipework, the mixer will be located on a stud wall with plasterboard and tiles will that be a problem either?

Cheers for the quick response

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't use pushfit
compression if you can't solder but solder is the best way to go.
depending on what you use get a 22mm / 15mm reducer then carry on in 15mm to shower valve

no problem with mixer on plasterboard walls just plan it first and use plenty of noggins in the stud wall first.

Brilliant advice once again - any must have plumbiing tools would u recommend for the job? im making a list now. Would u use any putty or tape on the fittings?

Do you think this would be possible to do this in a day?
im no plumber as you cna probbaly tell, but i have a go :)

one last thing before i plan it out - I fancied the gainsborough ambassador mixer have u had any experience with this make? not sure if they are reliable or not, can you recommend any good makes or models etc?

Once again thnaks for ur help youve really helped me with a few issues that was nagging away on me

mine either now lol :) might get an electric, is there any difference in economy between electric or mixers?

Yes i think i want a mixer, guess im panicing about what happens if somehting fails dont want to take all the new tiles off etc so a bar one would be a good idea - regarding the reliabilty issues the makes i know are mira, triton, and gainsborough, do u know which is more reliable?

Are there any shower awards etc? clutching at straws here :)

Great - thanks for all the advice - ill now take a look at some of those - do u rate triton at all, as have been looking they have some handy fitting accessories

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back