Concrete for fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, couple of questions if someone could help me.

1) Putting up a 3 ft fence with 6 inch concrete gravel board, I am going to use a concrete posts so would I be right in thinking I should use 5 ft posts ie 1 and half feet of post below ground ?

2) Got 20 posts to total to put in and ready mixed stuff would be expensive, what mix (cement, sand, water, etc) should I use to keep the cost to a minimum ?

3) If I did use Postcrete, Wickes sell in 20kg bags for £3.49, how many kg's per post would I need ?.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
3) depends how big you dig the hole for the post (seriously)

a third of the post below ground is the norm, dependent on ground conditions and wind loading. so a 4ft post will be fine.

if you are going to use concrete thena 1:6 mix of cement and ballast is fine. You should aim for a fairly dry mix (just damp) so that it can be rammed in firm around the posts, and then you can pour some water on the top once all done just to finish it off.

if you are going to use the bagged stuff, one bag a hole is about right, provided you dont overdig the holes.

You are very wise to use concrete posts! After all the effort of putting them in, you would be very annoyed (had you used wood) when they started to rot and break off. :LOL: :LOL:

If you mean a 3ft panel plus a 6 inch board, then a 4 ft post is too short but a 5 ft is good.

To my eye the posts look nice if you have an inch or two above the level of the panel.

Have the top of the concrete rather below ground level, it will look neater. But if the gravel boards are not sitting in the bottom of the groove, you can hump up the setting concrete at the sides to support them (or to frustrate burrowing animals). You can hire a post-hole borer. a neat hole needs less concrete.

have you seen my pics of concrete posts and gravel boards painted with dark brown masonry paint to blend in with the woodstain?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back