Concrete posts - slotted or Morticed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used concrete posts before as my prefernece is timber but I am matching in. I want to again use close board to match in with existing. Do I go with morticed posts and ready made panels or morticed and make them up myself. At this point can't really see any advantage with the mortice system, why use it? cost? the fact that it uses a seperate gravel board? Surely the slotted system means that when a panel rots, you just slot in a new one?

Sponsored Links
morticed posts are morticed to allow the aris rails for the closeboard system to be installed. Ie the arris rails go into the mortice and then each individual feather edge board is nailed in place.

the slotted posts allow a panel to be inserted into the post and are not used for closebaord fencing, unless you use a closebaord panel

both are a pain in the backside when it comes to changing the arris rails or the panel.

Thermo,

Cheers for your reply. What are the benefits of each system though? If I can buy a ready made panel and just slott it between two slotted posts, why go to the trouble of two Aris rails, gravel board and nailing each feather board in place, it just doesn't seem to justify the hassle, yet it seems to be the professionals choice?

it will out last a panel by many many years and will stand up to most winds that can be thrown at it. each component can be replaced.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back