Concrete roof for outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The outhouse is block built with I beams supported across roof span.
Between beams are blocks again .
Just like a house foundation ..
Then dpm sheet over the blocks & 8mm mesh supported on 40mm stand off blocks.
So we’d like to know about the weight of concrete and load acceptable to finish the roof off?
We wanted 4inch with a slight run off down to 3.5”.
The concrete guys said it’s about 5 tonnes of concrete that we need .
This sounds a lot, but we know our works solid.
We’ve even fitted a strengthening steel under the beams , inside the outhouses ceiling . It’s running diagonal on ceiling & supported on 2 walls.
So any thoughts if we need to reduce the depth of concrete?

Sponsored Links
@Notch7 Yes .does it show. ? We were trying to keep it under wraps, but you’ve blown our cover.
So anyway , do you know owt about concrete roofs

Sponsored Links
There’s beams spanning 215mm centers approx.
There’s 7 beams.
With approx 60-70 , 7.3n blocks between beams.
Between each T beam is a row of 7.3N blocks
T beam is 10mm thick steel.
The T beam is 100mm high, from where blocks sit on , upto top of block.
So the T beam is inverted T , with T upside down & the blocks between each beam, sit on the T by 50mm either side.
Also under the roof . Up at ceiling height is a box section 3” x 3” that spans all T beams , for extra support. And it’s resting on both ends, being inserted into block and darbo’d up & slate packed.
Finally-
The lengths of the t beams gradually decrease ,due to the outhouse shape .
One supporting side wall of the build is following the natural run of the road ,so 3 walls are standard 90’ square bulid, but 1 wall is diaganol. Creating a odd shaped room. Basicly imagine a box room that’s disected in 2, making a diaganol wall.
The beams start at 4.5m long and decrease in length until the last beam rests on the wall to wall at 2.8m long
I know it’s a lot of info . Any questions can be asked at the end of presentation. And there’s a quiz after the results.

Attachments

• C10D1671-66C7-44E9-A217-66438A769BCC.png
    C10D1671-66C7-44E9-A217-66438A769BCC.png
    524.3 KB · Views: 42
  • FD8278F5-5E6D-4BBF-872E-97904C5E09CC.png
    FD8278F5-5E6D-4BBF-872E-97904C5E09CC.png
    951 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
That's heavy. You need it worked out properly.

An old uncle was always fashioning this and that in his garage... he had a moan a few times of water leak in his garage roof, fibre asbestos corrugated job. Went to see him one week, said he'd been busy, he'd covered the whole roof with sand & cement. I was concerned about the weight, but he was a step ahead and had got some 'old' joists to reinforce the underside.

He never had any issues, and it was then dry.

Do you need 100mm?
At 16m², 50mm depth using an online concrete calculator I get .8m³, seems to be 1800kg, could you not screed it instead 3:1 mix and as dry as possible?

Is it single skin or on their backs?

Won't condensation be an issue?, perhaps kingspan on top of blocks and then concrete/screed with the mesh in.

When's the quizo_O

@Mr Chibs what you mean not to screed it and use 3-1 mix dry as possible ?
Obviously you mean a strong 3-1 dry mix , which will lower weight, from less water.
But what you mean about don’t screed it

Think you may have misunderstood, I was saying ‘could you not’ screed it… as a question and point of discussion.
Lower water, less shrinkage/cracks.

What’s the deal with the concrete roof anyway?

If the steel beam is up to reducing the span and assuming the reinforced slab is at least partially self supporting then I would be happy with that arrangement, provided the lateral stability of the building is suitable (not a single leaf etc). My only concern would be that wet concrete is heavy and has no strength and I would be using some serious temporary props untill it all goes off. Obviously you really need an engineer to confirm (you might get a bit of help from the beam manufacturer).

As already intimated a bit pointless anyway - ott for normal use and inadequate protection against nuclear attack.

At work we had a covered pathway that was in fact the lid of a massive duct.
when they made some DDA modifications, they added concrete to the existing pathway with a slope to bring the path up to the floor level of the buildings. The original had a probable 4” step.

I remember being interested as they had to install a foam core, the wet concrete was apparently too heavy for the ductwork.
However with the foam it was ok . The dry concrete was strong enough.

I guess it depends on your intended use but why 4” solid? Concrete is bloody solid and a foam core adds strength.
you can also use chopped strand to concrete to make very thin but strong slabs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back