Lintel Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a new garage with a room space above. The main garage door will be 4350 wide.
The beam will support a gable in 4 inch block incorporating a window.
Given the weight of block above, and the span, I know it won't be a concrete lintel.
Can anyone help with the type (catnic?) and spec for the lintel? It is isnt in the drawings by the way!
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I'm building a new garage with a room space above. The main garage door will be 4350 wide.
The beam will support a gable in 4 inch block incorporating a window.
So you are going to have a 2 storey, single skin (100mm) wall construction :?:

Yes. The wall is up to wall plate height and the trusses are on. The front piers are blocks on side ready to take the bearings for the lintel. The block above the beam will be 100mm.
Does that make sense???

I'm struggling to picture this in my head because you say you're going to build a single 100mm skin then you say;

The wall is up to wall plate height and the trusses are on
then you say,
The block above the beam will be 100mm.
:?:

These front piers, are they tied into the existing 100mm skin or have they been built in addition to the 100mm skin? Are you doing this under Building Regulations approval and what is the room above the garage going to be used for?

Can you post a picture or an image of your drawings it might make things clearer. :D

Sponsored Links
So, Why wasn't the lintel incorporated into the drawings, seeing as its going to be holding up the rest of the building, I would have thought that this would have been an important element of the planning submission and the local planning office / building control officer would have requested the load calculations?

In the absence of any such information, I would suggest that you contact catnic direct and they will be able to specifiy the lintel for you - go to www.catnic.com (which is all your designer needed to do in the first place!)

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back