Question about lintels for long span garage door conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stand alone double garage of brick and block solid wall construction, it has two sets of side opening timber doors (rotting!) with a single catnic?? beam spanning both doors with a total length of approx. 5460mm including bearing of approx. 230mm each side. There is currently a brick built T shaped post in the middle separating the doors.
I would like to remove the central post and put in a full width roller door, 5000mm.
My questions are; does the central pillar support the lintel? If I remove it would this lintel support the garage - remaining wall above lintel 340mm plus tile roof.

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
The Catnic CXL (looks like an I beam with a plate on the bottom) lintels span up to 6.6m, depending on the load applied.

If it doesn't look like described above then it won't span that far, so would probably be in two pieces anyway.

If it does look like the above, you will need to work out how much load it is carrying - or get someone to do it for you - to know if the pier can be removed.
Even if it looks like the pier can be removed, you might want to check you aren't overstressing the bearings either end.

The beam looks more like a box section with a plate off to one side at the bottom - I can see the internal side with polystyrene in the centre of the box, I assume there is a top to the box as there are blocks mortared on top, on the outside wall there are bricks mortared on to the plate. Hope this makes it clearer.
It's definitely in one piece too.

Sponsored Links
The beam looks more like a box section with a plate off to one side at the bottom - I can see the internal side with polystyrene in the centre of the box, I assume there is a top to the box as there are blocks mortared on top, on the outside wall there are bricks mortared on to the plate. Hope this makes it clearer.
It's definitely in one piece too.
Not sure, there are other manufacturers but not one I recognise.

I would guess that the lintel requires the pier, but you might need to get an SE to take a look to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back