Lintel Specification Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on the load bearing requirements of a lintel?

I am removing two existing single garage doors with a brick pillar in the middle and replacing with a single door. Currently two catnics support the roof where the doors are.

Sponsored Links
I think you are asking what lintel will you need if you remove the pillar and expand to a double sized opening, as lintels load bearing requirements are normaly 0 unless they are composite..

That said the lintel required will depend on span, load from roof (floor over if any), brickwork above, loft space spanning onto opening etc etc..
More than likely you are talking about 5m span which is in the realms of a steel beam..

Yes it is in the region of 5 metres and will be a steel beam thats going in. Just need someone who can point me in the right direction for the calculation of what size/load bearing beam we require.

Sponsored Links
;) Any ol' structural engineer can do a simple beam calc like this.. can save youself a little cash if you can provide pics of the garage as well as a sketch of the garage with dimensions.. basically avoiding a site visit..

The spec will depend on the load the lintel will be carrying, this question has been asked but it seems you have missed it.
The pictures will help.
If the roof is the only load and the roof is not an unusual heavy designed one, it could be quite straight forward to replace.

Thanks Static I will post up the pics and a sketch later tonight.
Not sure that was a freebie offer from Static :eek:

I wasnt sure.....was going to message Static.

Static your profile is marked as private I was hoping to drop you an email with the info on. Any ideas?
It isnt? hmm.. its set to viewable by all members.. wierd
Simplest is pop me a friend request..

Anyways, no i wasnt offering a freebie, was saying that you can save about £200 by doing some of the dog work yourself and just getting the fancy number crunching done by an SE..

Yes it is in the region of 5 metres and will be a steel beam thats going in. Just need someone who can point me in the right direction for the calculation of what size/load bearing beam we require.

Why is it, that you are wasting peoples time by asking this question, when it was answered in full detail by Shytalkz 13th October 2008.

old un.

Why is it, that you are wasting peoples time by asking this question, when it was answered in full detail by Shytalkz 13th October 2008.

old un.
Busted :LOL: inspector old un :LOL:

Busted inspector or not, the OP will not get a better answer than that given by Shytalkz.
Have you read the answer micrik?
old un.

Having batted a couple of messages to the OP it would seem things have changed in the last 2 years considerably.. i'll let him elaborate if he chooses..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back