Condensate drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a building reg that states that boiler condensate can not be connected into the pipework that takes your sink, basin toilet etc.(mains drains, as i know the acidity doesn't work well with the bacteria in sceptic tanks)

Had the building inspector demand that a condensate drain with lime chippings be used instead of teeing it in to the sink waste even though the buderus instructions show this as being acceptable.

Cheers Lee.

Sponsored Links
Providing the waste pipework is plastic it should be OK. But if it's metal it may be corroded by the condensate. Probably the building inspector is confused about the requirements - almost everyone else is.

The man is adament it has to be a proper drain like the McAlpine ones, I suppose because i'm registering the job and not him i could refuse to change it till he can prove what he's suggesting but i really dont like arguing with LABC as it always bites you in the ass eventually.

If there is a reg then the install will be made to comply but i've not heard of this before.

get him to prove where it states this, as i have never had a problem with a tee into sink pipework after the trap and i'm sure 90% of gas engineers tee in this way.

vvvvv is that a confused eye roll or do you tee too :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Building inspectors at present seem to have this "i dont care whats in the book its what i want" attitude.(certainly my local ones do)

Our last arguement was over a soil stack which vented 1.5metres away froma window, he refused to sign the job unless it was moved to a differnt face of the building with no window on it.

lcgs said:
Building inspectors at present seem to have this "i dont care whats in the book its what i want" attitude.(certainly my local ones do)

Our last arguement was over a soil stack which vented 1.5metres away froma window, he refused to sign the job unless it was moved to a differnt face of the building with no window on it.

I hope you followed him home & burned his house down :confused:

Most of my condensate drains go into sink waste or soil stacks. There is no reg to stop this unless as you say a septic tank is at the end of the run.

It turns out there may well not be a reg but according to LABC there is a BS thats states that it cannot be done, yes i've asked for a copy and should it arrive and read as such i'll post it here.

Further arguement was over the PRV on the combi, boiler is on landing so prv exits through floor void at 2.3m outside and is elbowed back to the wall. The discharge is away from windows, doors walkways and constitutes no danger to any one near it. Again this has been snagged. Original LABC arguement was that it should be 100mm from floor until i pointed out G£ is 15litres and above and combi's dont come under that.
Only to be told theres yet another BS that states this, anyone come across that one.(apparently its because of the height at which discharge occurs)

Lee

Never come across that one either :rolleyes: I knew that an unvented cylinder cannot discharge high up unless into a hopper or onto a roof.

I think he must have got out of bed the wrong side, or is he a youngster wanting to mke a name for himself :LOL:

gas4you said:
Never come across that one either :rolleyes: I knew that an unvented cylinder cannot discharge high up unless into a hopper or onto a roof.

the risk of scalding is the reason for the 100mm rule corgi do insist on it for prv's, and it came up on G3 course, but have no idea on where it is actually written. but it is common sense.

i await the BS no. for the original subject

I think he must have got out of bed the wrong side, or is he a youngster wanting to mke a name for himself :LOL:

as previously stated they are getting to be a regular pain just lately
i have 1 at the moment who is insisting on a air trap for the 22mm G3 pipework as it might get back smells from the drains! anyone got any ideas? i thought of HepVo valve but the smallest 1 is 32mm i could use reducers but wonder if there is anything suitable in 22mm or 3/4

HepV0 trap can be bought with a set of adaptors down to 22mm specifically for unvented blow offs.

Trap must be mounted vertical and plastic (or metal) pipes beneath fitted with clips. Tundish goes above as per normal.

This has been passed by BRE for unvented and we keep the docs in a file just in case we meet an over enthusiastic building control person. The HepVO has been tested to maintain drain tightness.

Probably done about 10 like this over the past few years, never had a problem.

BS 6798 says it is ok to connect to internal waste pipes as do the building regulations Part H.

Unless there are other reasons such as metallic pipework or a septic tank for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back