Condensate pipe from AC unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but though I'd give it a try.

I'm having my loft done as I speak and thought it might be a good time to have some ac units run to my first floor bedrooms (for the long hot UK summers :D ) Obviously it will be easy to run the pipes up through the loft floor whilst it is all exposed up there.

I'm thinking of using a Daikin inverter which will have a wall mounted unit in the room. I just can't seem to figure out what to do with the condensate pipe. I've read it needs to be gravity 'powered' and the room faces the front of the house and does not have another external wall.

Any ideas of what I might be able to do without ripping the room to shreds?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've read it needs to be gravity 'powered'

-- which is another way of saying that it has to run downhill all the way. So, short of putting a bucket under it, you have to get it out of the room to a drain somewhere. What's in the room below? Can you carry on down through the ground floor then under the floor and out through the wall over a gully? :idea: :idea: :idea:

I've read it needs to be gravity 'powered'

-- which is another way of saying that it has to run downhill all the way. So, short of putting a bucket under it, you have to get it out of the room to a drain somewhere. What's in the room below? Can you carry on down through the ground floor then under the floor and out through the wall over a gully? :idea: :idea: :idea:

Below the bedroom is a reception room, I can't really have pipes coming through the ceiling there.

In the bedroom is an en suite. If I put the wall mounted unit on the wall where the en suite is could I discharge the pipe into the shower or might this cause problems?

Or I could mount it towards the front window but then the pipe would just discharge out the front of my property onto the drive. Not sure if this is allowed/a good idea

Thanks
Thanks

If you have a fall pipe from the guttering this can be used.
The other alternative is a condensate pump to pump it back up into
the loft and from there where you want.

Cassette system mounted into the ceiling and therefore
the condensate will already be in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Yep, you can run the condensate in solvent weld overflow pipe and connect it to any waste you like with no problem.... Don't forget to put in a trap or a hepworth one way valve to prevent smells coming back up through the pipework... Your condensing (Outside) unit will need a condensate pipe too to ensure that the water that it produces runs away to a drain..

Not wanting to supply doom, but I take it you realise that you cannot install the refrigerant pipe work, commission or service a Comfort Cooling system unless you hold an F-gas certificate and are registered with an organisation such as REFCOM - rule finally came into play 1st July 2011

fit a small pump to the outlet of the condense tray (such as a little giant) and run the 8mm plastic waste away with the frige pipes gravity drains on high wall units always look terrible!! ;)

Nothing to stop him doing the pipe work if he has the tools. Then just get a fridge tech to commission it.

Boilerman2 said:
rule finally came into play 1st July 2011

So it's just as well that the pipework went in on June 30th. ;) ;) ;)

Corgigrouch said:
Fitting a pump can always be an option but gravity never breaks down...

Which is why nuclear reactors have control rods that drop in an emergency. Pumps do break down. No pump = no worries. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks

Yes, if I look under the floor there will be a waste/soild pipe of some kind coming from the ensuite. But as people have said the run of pipe from above the door all the way down to the floor will look terrible. I can't think of a way of concealing it really. The only option would be a box running virtually the entire height of the wall.

Maybe the pump is the best option, if it fails it fails. Given it's only going to get used about 4 weeks a year it may well have a decent lifespan.

So if I use a pump to get the condensate into the loft, shall I get it connected to the one of the soil pipes of the bathroom up there? Or shall I discharge it directly into an external gutter? Any real issues with either of these two approaches?

Thanks again

btw the reason I'm trying to organise this for my self is that a local company quoted me £1900 + vat to supply and fit the unit. The unit is £940 delivered from online suppliers.

So the cheeky monkeys are trying to charge me £1400 to fit it!!

The pump can discharge into a gutter or the waste no problem, waste would be better but that is just my personal pref..... Oddly enough, I find that pumps that are only used occasionally give most problems as the floats can stick when the slime that forms in the pump dries out.

Over the last week or so I've been very busy cleaning out sticking con pumps that hadn't been used for many months.

I won't comment on the price, I cannot see the installation and cannot tell how much work is involved, I'll leave that to someone with a Cristal Ball and no idea of what is involved

Thanks

Yes, if I look under the floor there will be a waste/soild pipe of some kind coming from the ensuite. But as people have said the run of pipe from above the door all the way down to the floor will look terrible. I can't think of a way of concealing it really. The only option would be a box running virtually the entire height of the wall.

Maybe the pump is the best option, if it fails it fails. Given it's only going to get used about 4 weeks a year it may well have a decent lifespan.

So if I use a pump to get the condensate into the loft, shall I get it connected to the one of the soil pipes of the bathroom up there? Or shall I discharge it directly into an external gutter? Any real issues with either of these two approaches?

Thanks again

btw the reason I'm trying to organise this for my self is that a local company quoted me £1900 + vat to supply and fit the unit. The unit is £940 delivered from online suppliers.

So the cheeky monkeys are trying to charge me £1400 to fit it!!

Split unit costs about £400. We fit Toshiba..........Bang Tidy units!!

Delta T2, How can you price a unit without knowing the required duty?

I'll take all the 4.5kW Daiseikai units you can send me for £400 a pop..

I like the Toshes but the Daikin is better built

It's a Daikin unit that as I said retails for £940 on the net.

I know you guys can't see the work involved for the install but as my loft is all exposed at the moment it can't be that difficult. Any pipes from the wall unit can run straight up to the ceiling and from there because all joists are exposed(in the loft) routing piping is fairly straight forward. Really can't see it anywhere near £1.4k of labour.

I might get my builders (who are doing the loft) to run the pipework and electrics now and then get a certified engineer in at the end to commission and connect it all up.

May I ask is it ok to have a run of the copper ac piping outside the building exposed to the atmosphere? Or does the piping have to enter the external unit almost as soon as it leaves the building?

Thanks again

I might get my builders (who are doing the loft) to run the pipework and electrics now and then get a certified engineer in at the end to commission and connect it all up.
I'd be very wary of that unless you can be sure that they understand what they are dealing with. Builders come in all varieties, but most I would not feel confident entrusting this to.

Whatever you do, you need to keep the pipes capped to keep both moisture and dirt out. Moisture can be vacuumed out within reason, dirt risks blocking fine capillaries and/or valves.

The pipework also needs to be properly lagged with closed cell insulation, and with all joints sealed. Open cell insulation or open joints allows moist air in and then condensation forms on the cold pipes - eventually leading to waterlogged and ineffectual insulation and potentially decor damaging drips.
May I ask is it ok to have a run of the copper ac piping outside the building exposed to the atmosphere? Or does the piping have to enter the external unit almost as soon as it leaves the building?
You can run the pipes pretty much where you like - as long as you stay within the limits imposed by the installation instructions. Typically there will be a maximum pipe length AND a maximum height difference between indoor and outdoor units. Running up through the ceiling, across the loft, and then down to the outdoor unit should be no problem - subject to height and length limits.

And of course, the electrical work will be notifiable.

As to condensate drains. There are a variety of pump types, I've used several - all have their pro's and cons.
Some are a shallow tray that sits within the indoor unit, and when the liquid builds up a small pump fires up - the ones I've seen then make a distinctive (and probably annoying in a bedroom) "durrrr" noise while they pump for a few seconds.
Another type that may be worth considering is a peristaltic pump. These are like the ones you see in medical dramas on TV - where a rotor with rollers one runs round and round trapping a piece of rubber tube between the rollers and the casing. These will handle a negative inlet head (ie they will suck uphill) which means you could position the pump in the loft (if there's a convenient and accessible place) so it sucks the condensate out. However, I have heard that these can make a slurping noise while they are running. You also need to find a way of turning them on only while cooling, which may not be easy if the AC unit doesn't have a convenient connection.
I'd agree with the others though - if you can arrange a gravity drain, it will be the simplest and most reliable by far.

Disclaimer - I don't work with, and I've no qualifications in, A/C. I've just picked up a fair bit while it's been my responsibility at work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back