condensate pipe

So the question is still unanswered. You said you would prep for him......so why not have asked him there and then what was required as per regs??? Instead you com e on here and ask and then get defensive when questioned.

Very odd.

Red_Man.....grow up

Grow up?

Who cares why the guy hasn't asked his RGI, there could be a number of reasons and im sure he has a very good one.

The time and effort the likes of you take in replying in a cynical way could just as easily be used by answering this chaps question.

Sponsored Links
< You're right.. We don't know, and neither does your installer.... If I was you, I'd sack the installer and fit it yourself.>

Well it is true you either don't know or won't say - but it is not true to say that "We don't know" - if you read the responses, at least one person does, and they were kind enough to be informative - perhaps you mean "I don't know"

Now you better get off otherwise you will be breaking into another hour.

And it is clear from your initial reply that, by asking what pipe I intended to use to the 32mm, you expected to trip me up - sorry for that.

And if you think it is a Part J question why would an RGI be allowed to run the 21.5mm into my 32mm sink waste (you know the waste that I was allowed to plumb without being Gas Safe Registered). Well blow me, perhaps it's not a Part J question after all.

Dizz, the reason plumbers get 'defensive' about certain questions, is because it seems as if the OP shouldn't be doing something he or she knows little or nothing about, which could be a potential hazard. Also, like Powell30 said, why are you asking a question that the RGI who is installing your boiler should know ?? It may not ring alarm bells to you, but it will to other, more experienced fellows. Unfortunately, no matter how many 6 week intensive plumbing courses there are out there, as with any trade, good practise is just that , practise, and years of it too :)

Hey Crockett - I would understand If I was aksing about how to change a heat exchanger but I was asking about the pipe running outdoors - essentially a groundworks question. We do a lot of work on properties - it is all legal - the last thing we want is not to get the installation registered with Gas Safe. I wouldn't touch gas or boilers.

Sponsored Links
I am having a boiler installed and the condensate pipe needs to go in the ground outside the house to runaway to the drain - should I run the same size pipe in the ground or use 32mm. And when in the ground how should the plastic pipe be protected?

Right mate what you do is as follows and this is regs as far as i know for combis.
Go to Greahams, plumbs or somewhere like and get a soakaway(about £12) install that in the ground and run your pipe in 1 1/4" to it drop the condensate about 12" into the 1 1/4".
Soakaways state that you should fit them 500mm away from walls and have never seen one fitted anywhere near that far yet and have never seen one pulled for not being that far.
Hope this helps

Not having a pop at your question, Dizz, and fair play to you for wanting to get it right, but any RGI worth his salt should know the info you required, and I think that's probably the point some people were attempting to make, while flowering their posts with a touch of the old sarcies :)

Maybe because their dog is one of those ones that can't bark?? Who knows, who cares. The OP's question is pretty much answered I reckon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back