Condensation Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise me regarding the following “cure”. We have a condensation problem in our bedroom and due to the very bad winter, have suffered from excessive moisture. I want to improve the warmth of the bedroom and to insulate it, so that we might have a better chance of less condensation.

Background

Our bedroom is on the ground floor of a low rise flat and is at the end of the block. Therefore for security reasons, we cannot leave our bedroom window open to ventilate our bedroom while we are out and in the winter, it would make our cold bedroom even colder. We did have the outer walls of the bedroom dry-lined 5 years ago. We also have double glazing and a dehumidifier, but this has not worked well enough to prevent problems.

Kiltox had put in a ventilation system in our bathroom which has been reasonably successful, but not 100%, but we do not want this put in our bedroom since (1) it makes a noise and will keep us up at night; (2) we have a cold bedroom already and having another hole in the brickwork will make our bedroom even colder.

I am thinking of getting a builder to do the following and would like some opinion on this.

• Have the old plasterboard taken off and insulation put between the existing timbers, then covered with a polystyrene veneer/Kingspan. We hope that this will keep the room warmer, which may help to keep back the conditions that cause condensation.
• All walls and ceiling be cleaned and treated with mould killer.
• The walls and ceiling be painted with special paint to keep the condensation away.

It has also been suggested that an air brick could be inserted, which might be a reasonable alternative to a heat recovery ventilator, as Kiltox provides.

Any comment on an air brick this and the rest would be most helpful.

Please reply in plain English and no jargon, as I am a non diy expert trying to take a crash course in dealing with condensation problems.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddie.

Do you think I should only go with the air brick work put in and not the insulation, or what that be a waste of time and money?

Thanks.

Google air brick passive air vent or Passifier 230 dehumidifier Vent.
Try that first before spending out money on insulation.
oldun

Sponsored Links
Ventilation, VENTIlation, VENTILATION; coupled with reasonable ambient background heating as this will keep the dew point up (when moisture condenses on cold surfaces). You also need to force ventilate your kitchen, bathroom, utility rooms & never dry washing in the property. Condensation can only occur when the moisture generated within your property (humidity), including anyone breathing reaches the maximum saturation level before it condenses. Moisture doesn’t just vanish, it remains in the air & will continue to increase unless it can escape (ventilation), it will then condense on any available, cooler surface.

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/housing/improvements-and-repairs/condensationandmouldgrowth.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back