Condensation on bedroom windows

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by RossPatzelt, 1 Dec 2010.

1. RossPatzelt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi just found this after googlng double glazed windows steamed up.

Our upstairs windows are just awful at the moment. They steam up so much in the evening when we goto bed and in the morning I have to wipe them all over. We are now getting damp patches in the corner of our bedrooms. I was told to leave a window slightly open but when its -4 and we have a baby that isn't the greatest of ideas.

I always leave them wide open when we get up to clear them but this is getting me down now as theres little wet patches on the window sill.

Please help!

2. Richard C

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This ancient thread concerns misting on the OUTSIDE of the windows which is caused by a characteristic of modern efficient double glazing & their energy efficient coatings.

What you are describing is condensation on the INSIDE of the windows which is caused in no particular order by;
    Old inefficient double glazing
    New efficient double glazing with no natural ventilation
    High ambient moisture content inside the home
    Drying washing indoors
    Moisture generated by cooking, bathing, breathing not being able to escape
    No forced ventilation (fans) in kitchen/bathroom/utility rooms
    Lack of natural ventilation
    Insufficient background heating
    Inappropriate heating – paraffin or LPG heaters generate tremendous amount of moisture
    Possible damp penetration through the walls

Moisture must be allowed to escape somehow or it will condense on the coldest surface in the room. It’s important to have one window in each used bedroom & the main living area slightly open for at least a couple of hours a day &, as you’ve found, it will clear. Have you tried leaving a window in each used bedroom slightly open at night, fresh air never killed anyone & human beings exhale a great deal of moisture overnight. A slightly higher ambient temperature overnight will also help, switching heating off completely for 6 hours will reduce the dew point significantly. Here’s a link for you to read;
    http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php

3. RossPatzelt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi mate,
    Not really possible to turn off heating as our little baby will get cold.

4. Richard C

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't tell you to turn the heating off, I said a slightly higher temperature overnight should help reduce condensation. Switching the heating off completely for 6 hours will reduce the air temperature to its dew point and beyond causing moisture in the air to condense on the coldest
    surfaces. Your basic problem is one of excessive humidity inside the house caused by one or more of the problems I listed. Unless you either raise the ambient temperature or reduce the relative humidity by ventilation you will never cure the problem; only other thing I can suggest is a dehumidifier.

There is no reason why your baby should get cold even with a window slightly open, as long as it has suitable clothing & bedding, it'll be fine; the fersh air will even do it some good.

5. masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As mentioned a dehumidifier will control it but does produce warm air moisture back into the room!

Or get a leather cloth and keep wiping it clean

Bring back my childhood draughty old house back :!:

6. RossPatzelt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ok thanks alot.