Condensation within the shaft of tap or a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a weird one...
Bought and installed a hansgrohe e2 single lever kitchen mixer tap. The flexi pipes dangling from the bottom of the unit and dissapearing high up inside it appeared to be ready attached. Instructions were poor and didn't state this, but I felt it to be the case as there seemed to be no way of tightening them other than taking the whole thing apart from the top - which I didn't fancy! and couldn't believe one would have to do.
Problem is that when I run the tap, and particularly after stopping the tap, I get numerous drips of water coming out of the bottom of the brass screw thread and along the flexi pipes. The inside of this threaded shaft is wet on inspection. My first thought is that it could be condensation. Does anyone out there have any idea as to whether this is the case (and I just live with it) or whether the flexi pipe connections within the tap could be faulty?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it not where the tap goes through the sink ? Sealed properly ?

Thanks for the replies.
It is dripping most of the time - just seems like more straight after use. Amount of water: couple of mm (covering the base of a washing up bowl) in 6 hours (tap not in use during this time) - so not pouring out, but perhaps more significant than condensation..
No, it isn't to do with the seal where the sink meet the tap, the drips are coming from inside the tap shaft, where the flexi pipes go.
Told you it was a weird one....

Sponsored Links
If a fitting is leaking it will leak more when the tap is turned off because the water is trying to find a way out. When the tap is on, it has a way out.

I've just thought of something. The tap is listed as needing 'high pressure'. I don't know what my mains water pressure is (always thought it was fairly high) but I could turn it up higher. Perhaps the seals on the flexi pipes within the tap need very high pressure to seal properly? Has anyone had experience of this before? I'll try turning it up, and report back..

The pressure requirement for the tap signifies what type of system it is suitable for.
For example a tap that is suitable for a high pressure system like a combi will not perform very well on a gravity system.
Have you tried giving the pipes a good drying off and trying to see where the leak is coming from? Torches and little mirrors come in handy for this.

Hi, thanks, yes, realised the high pressure idea was probably a red herring. I did shine a torch up there earlier today and couldn't see where the water was coming from, only that it was ending up with a drip on the inside of the threaded shaft of the tap, or down the cold flexi. This tap is quite tall so it's a long way up to the other end of the flexi. Will return to this a try again to see what's going on up there. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back