Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my first flat early last year. Last new year we had new windows fitted as the original ones were rotten and were suffering from bad condensation.

The worse room was our 2nd bedroom where part of the window box had got so damp there was a hole. When the new windows were fitted, this was just replaced with plastic facia.

I went in there last night and the room was cold. We don't have any heating in there apart from an electric surrond fire in the living room. The windows were wet and slightly running. I had noticed that the trickle vent was closed which I've now opened. The wall where we suffered before was damp again. The whole room feels damp as well, I'm assuming this is because of the coldness.

My question therefore is what is the best thing we can do? I'm assuming maybe we need heating in there, and if so what should I go for. So far I've seen a 2000w convector heater on Screwfix for £19 and a 2000w oil filled for £45.

I'm not sure which of these would be best and more economical on running costs.

We orginally looked at buying one to put in our main bedroom, but I'm thinking if we need to continually to heat our 2nd bedroom to stop this damp.

I would appreciate some advice on this as I obviously want to solve this as much as possible, without going to costly extremes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The principles are that you keep as much moisture in the air as possible - warm air holds more moisture than cold air.

You also need to remove "excess" moisture from the air - ventilation/extraction

And you deny cold surfaces for air to condense on - insulate cold surfaces where possible.

But its a fine balance and not easy to get right

Regarding heating, you should avoid high power heating used at infrequent times - eg on in the morning and at night. This will cause more condensation to form when the room cools.

Use a heater to keep the room at an even temperature, not roasting hot but just warmish, and use the trickle vents.

An oil filled radiator with a thermostat control would be the best option.

And remove steam from cooking and bathing at source - don't let it travel around the flat as it will end up on the walls in the bedroom

See the FAQ and other posts on this probelm

You may want to consider a proper central heating system

Ok thanks.

Well I would look at central heating, but only plan to be in there a couple of years.

I've just seen a Delonghi 1.5kw oil filled with thermostat and I would probably plug it into a timer to come on for a couple of hours about 8pm, just to make room warm for when we go to bed.

For the other room, seen a little oscilatting Bionaire fan heater which Which recommend top's. Thinking I can put this on a unit and just let it oscilate heat around the room.

Hopefully with the oil filled, it wouldn't be high power like you suggest to steer clear from.

And remove steam from cooking and bathing at source - don't let it travel around the flat as it will end up on the walls in the bedroom
& don't dry your washing inside the flat either :LOL:

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

thanks, none of that applies really. We always use extractor fan (fitted to light) in bathroom when showering. Bathroom window is normally opened as well.

Trickle vents are all open.......apart from this one which I forgot I closed last Thursday as i was cold, but is now open.

Think I might try leaving that bedroom window on the ventilation catch while at work, although the room will obviously be damn cold when I get back home lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back