Condensing boiler pipe lagging

Did a landlord's inspection of a boiler in a loft which had some unusual features. Where pipe clips had been screwed into the joists, he'd used wallplugs as well. :eek:

The pipes were beautifully insulated with the proper thick insulation, and green garden twine wound round in a helix to hold it, supplemented with cable ties all trimmed to length. I knew something was odd but it took a moment to see why - he'd insulated the gas pipe as well. :p

Different site, but could have been the same guy, had painted all the pipes. He'd carefully removed all the earth bonding first, and put it back onto the painted pipes. :eek:

Sponsored Links
true and a frost stat and pipe stat is advisable and all

not forgetting the boarding
the fire proofing
the fix ladder with a handle
adequate lighting

We have the boarding, light, ladder and a safety rail to stop the man falling through the hatch whilst working.

Not sure about frost stat - but the boiler has some clever function that turns the pump on at a certain temp to keep water moving and then starts boiler on low when it drops further - I guess that is what you guys are talking about.

As I understand it, external condensate discharge pipework should be insulated unless it is increased in size from the usual nominal 22mm to a nominal 32mm (1¼").

Ah, right - it is 22mm so I guess I am stuck with the lagging (only outside, not in the loft space though). Damn!

Alternatively, you could ask them to push the plastic 21.5mm pipe through some lagging without breaking the seal, then no gaffer or ties will be required.

Hmmm, good idea but there are two 90 degree turns in the short section of pipe so no can do.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone - you have been a lot more efficient that the installation company - who have yet to return my call!

My boiler has unlagged 32mm plastic pipe running around a roof and down to a drain.
Last winter the boiler stopped as this pipe, despite it's wide bore, had frozen solid-I suspect on a nearly horizontal section. My neighbours boiler stopped for the same reason as did hundreds of others.
It should be lagged! Problem is finding a suitable lagging that doesn't look like a dog's breakfast in situ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back