Condensing boilers-contentious question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long are they expected to last before you replace one?

If its 10 years or less, does that not wipe out the savings on heating bills?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
It's about 15 years, but it's not all about saving money it's also about delaying the end of the world ;)

15 years eh? Right - I'm keeping Big Bertha a bit longer, 29 years old and going strong! (Famous last words)

As to saving the world - there's a lot more could be done before Joe Public picks up the cost!

a boiler will last as long as it lasts, there is no timescale and a new one could last as long as "big bertha" if its taken care of.

as far as saving the world goes the world could do itself a favour and stop blowing out more carbon and other ****e with one of those pesky volcanoes than we ever have.

Sponsored Links
Oll who said that their boiler would last 15 yrs!!

more like half that would be more like it.

Gawd I miss old boilers

;)

get a top branded quality boiler, fit it to a clean and inhibited system and service it every year and there's no reason it shouldn't last 15-20 yrs. Get cheap tat on a dirty system and it may last 5.

There was an article in some magazine (cant remember which one) stated that average life expectancy of a gas boiler was 11.4 years, Then they brought out the super doper condensing boiler.
My views are how long is it.

View media item 4395
We are servicing 12 month old boilers and the amount of large pieces of aluminium deposit in condensate trap is slightly worrying :cry:

What world are you in DM :)

You seen the agro servicing some of these boilers; nevermind the PITA repairing them and the extrotionate price of parts eg Worcester fans at £200. You really think in this climate of new boiler models launched every year that manufacturers will keep parts for more than the statutory 10 years?

I changed an Ariston SE combi at five year old and advised a customer to replace a SD SE at three years old. I regularly rip out 35 year year old boilers that are still working (sic) however the gas consumption on some of these is ,frankly,frightening.

however the gas consumption on some of these is ,frankly,frightening.

But when you fit these dam new boilers they are not cost effective replacements,
Unfortunately boilers ar like all white goods, throw away after 5 years :evil:

What world are you in DM :)

You seen the agro servicing some of these boilers; nevermind the PITA repairing them and the extrotionate price of parts eg Worcester fans at £200. You really think in this climate of new boiler models launched every year that manufacturers will keep parts for more than the statutory 10 years?

In respect of heat exchangers you can't beat the Buderus at £76 for a new one, but if it ever got to that (which it won't because it is about 3/4" bore) first step is remove it (about 2 minutes work ) clean it replace with two new o rings. That is a condensing boiler which is repairable.

However another gas fitter on combustion whatsit complains the hydraulics are leaking on the 500 combi range. I haven't encountered that.

The fan (which is really a compressor but all the manufacturers are calling them fans, probably for the sake of Ludite gas fitters who don't like change, keep the name familiar) is the biggest problem for the longevity of any band A boiler. Most of them will cost between 150 and 200 and definately need replacing within 5 years.

On that basis and the fact that the better designed band D boilers such as the Alpha 240 (baxi 80e) are good for 20 years ( as long as the fans are made to the original quality of the Alpha fans which are on the whole still the original ones). My recommendation for longevity is a band B version of said reliable boiler such as Baxi 80HE. Similarly Vokera compact.

One of the little talked of facts today is that most of the time a band A or a band b boiler is in fact a band C boiler. Since it can only work to best performance at a 20 degree f/r differential. Impossible to achieve in most dwellings at the same time as actually heating the place. Similarly they don't condense much for hot water. The Gassaver is the best way to get condensing hot water performance but it's cost is prohibitive.

Once you go below the surface (which is loaded with ignorance trickery government politics marketing hype and profiteering of both boiler salesmen plumbers merchants and boiler manufacturers) the reality bights in that as specified by OP there is no saving. It isn't about saving the consumer money it's about making money out of him.

can't disagree with that either.

i tell customers that if they are happy, within reason, with their gas bill there is probably little point in a change especially if they dont know if they are staying in a house for the full lifetime of the new boiler.

Well said paul . Amazing how many people actually believe this 35% gas saving.

"how long they last" is almost always down to the cost of parts, alone. Very few corrode much, and most of the parts aren't too hard to change.
(There are exceptions of course!)
Condensing boilers have probably become as efficient as they're going to be, and as small as needed. So there won't be much need to change them. So the mfrs have to put the parts prices up if they want to keep selling boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back