Condensing or Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My father-in-law has had a plumber visit his house to give hime some advice, as part of the WarmFront Scheme. Sadly he has Alzheimer's.

Anyway, at present he has a Baxi back boiler, which has been in his house for at least 20 years, if not longer. It is now giving problems, and regularly goes out. A new central heating system will be wonderful.

Friends of my father-in-law, also through WarmFront had their Baxi back boiler removed and a new Combi boiler fitted. However, because the original pipes, under the floor boards may not have taken the pressure of a new Combi system, new pipes were fitted, but above the skirting board. The couple paid extra to have these pipes boxed in.

I assumed my father-in-law would be getting the same sort of system. I have a combi boiler in my own house and it works great; instant hot water at any time of the day.

However, he has been advised that the best system is a condensing boiler, linked to a new hot tank. Apparently the pressure in this sort of system is lower which will mean all pipes below the existing floorboards can be re-used. This does sound a better bet in this situation .. BUT !!!

I thought the combi boiler was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Please advise !

I thank you in anticipation :D

Sponsored Links
combi are ideal for smaller household. and there is no reason why you cant re-use the existing heating pipes unless there is already a leak.

I thought the combi boiler was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.
I suspect this is a rumour put about by the makers of combis ;)

the economical thing about a combi is that it is efficient (and condensing). A regular boiler modern will also be condensing so the efficiency will be about the same.

Installers like combis because it saves them going to the trouble of fitting a cylinder and tank, so it is easier and faster to fit (and if they take out an old cylinder it goes into their scrap copper fund).

You also need quite a good cold water supply to get good delivery from a combi into the bath, because it cannot deliver any more water than the cold main does, since it has no storage. A cold tank and hot cylinder can deliver more water faster.

If you have a cylinder you can also have an immersion heater, which will be a boon to give you hot water when (not if) your combi breaks down.

I am saving up for a new boiler this summer, and mine will be an efficient modern condenser, keeping a cylinder and tank.

I am just a householder.

I would search on here or the internet generally, for comments on the cowboys who do the warmfront installs.

Take what they say with a pinch of salt. If your father wants a combi, then he should get one.

No doubt as with all these rip off grants he will be told that there is an excess of about £300-£800 for him to pay over the grant given.

Unfortunately it is the most vulnerable in society that are being ripped off by the unscrupulous schemes such as these.

A good local installer would be a lot cheaper and fit a decent boiler. Don't let them fob him off with anything Ideal make and also don't let them charge him any extras at anything other than 5% VAT.

I feel for you :(

Sponsored Links
they are brill (if fitted on a decent water supply) until they breakdown and you realise that you have new hot water back up.

So if you have one fit an electric shower

:)

Personally I hate them

Also you have to have a CONDENSING combi :)

they are brill (if fitted on a decent water supply) until they breakdown and you realise that you have new hot water back up.

So if you have one fit an electric shower:)

Personally I hate them

Also you have to have a CONDENSING combi :)

It has been mentioned on this forum that an instant in-line electric water heater, enough to do one shower and a connected to one tap, can be fitted on the combi outlet. Leave if off normally and switch on when the combi is down or limited backup.

Combis are superb. You always have a shower and it never runs out.

Combis are superb.
That comment is 100% correct. It is the qualifying part of the comment that is missing!

Combis are superb in the CORRECT situation! Otherwise they are most definitly NOT.

Having been told to wait for up to 2 weeks for an installer to contact me (Iguana) I decided to wait a little longer. Tomorrow will have been 3 weeks since the surveyor came

I contacted Warmfront to be told that the chap who had been was actually from an installation company but he had cancelled the job. Why i asked, but was told that nobody at Warmfront knew.

When he called, the way he was talking i assumed he was from Warmfront. He told me he'd be passing this to Iguana.

Now I'm told it will need re-allocated and a new survey requested, which could be several more weeks.

has any body else had this kind of service with Warmfront ?

thanks in anticipation

Sadly your friends who had pipes fitted above the skirting boards have been ripped off by lazy cowboys who couldnt be arsed to take up the carpets and floorboards,the pipes under the floor were probably fine and would last for many years to come.I doubt they even lookeed at them.
I hate firms like this who dont care about quality just profit,they dont need customer loyalty and a good reputation to keep in business as they have the grants system sewn up.
I would personally use a local plumber with a good reputation who will give you best advice on what you need, not what they want you to have.

Hello

My father-in-law has had a plumber visit his house to give hime some advice, as part of the WarmFront Scheme. Sadly he has Alzheimer's.

Anyway, at present he has a Baxi back boiler, which has been in his house for at least 20 years, if not longer. It is now giving problems, and regularly goes out. A new central heating system will be wonderful.

Please advise !

I thank you in anticipation :D
Why not get the back boiler fixed, at worst it sounds like a defective mag unit in the gas valve or at best just a partly blocked pilot jet.

If the Old Boy has memory problems etc he may find a new system and the upheaval of fitting it a bit much.

Have you considered a Warm Front £300 Heating Repair Grant, this would probably completely sort out the Back Boiler problem and leave the Old Chap with a system he can cope with.

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/heating-rebate-scheme.htm

Best of luck.

Tim

Could anyone kindly advise an amateur? Is there a condensing boiler available as a direct replacement for a Baxi Bermuda back boiler? Any advice, comment much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back