Using a Combi boiler as a System boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently replacing an old heat only boiler with a system boiler.
My plumber has bought a combi boiler instead of system boiler because he says its slightly cheaper and has all the same functionality.
He explained that it will still fill my hot water cylinder and work much the same way as system boiler.
His explanation seems reasonable, but are there any drawbacks to using a combi in this way? The new boiler is a Wiessmann 050 30kW.

Sponsored Links
I would also like to know. The only thing I have thought of to date is that there are extra, unnecessary parts to go wrong, even though they aren't actually being used.

As you will just be using the ch loop there is no real difference in function, a boiler is heating some water and pumping it round a loop.

Sponsored Links
No problem whatsover and if you have a well used hot tap for filling sinks close by that could be linked up to the combi save using the stored water

Sorry for jumping on this thread however my question is relevant.

I currently have a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave oil combi boiler approx 3 years old.

1. Can it be used as a system boiler with a hot water cylinder?

2. I may have the opportunity to get a free heat pump and PV solar panels due to a grant for off grid homes, however i'm concerned that a heat pump will be inefficient and expensive in really cold weather (i've read the horror stories!). I hear it's possible to have a hybrid system whereby the heat pump and oil boiler work together via a manifold. The idea being that the boiler kicks in when you need a boost of heat or when the ambient temperature is low resulting in the heat pump being inefficient. Would this boiler be able to do this?

Thanks

Undoubtedly it could be done, albeit at some expense.

Your eco grant may however be conditional upon the fossil-fuel boiler and oil tank being decommissioned and removed.

Last edited:
We have certainly turned a Grant 36 kw combi into a system boiler. Disconnect heat store plate to plate pump on domestic then repiped and fitted standard controls from a heat only.
Took couple of hrs God knows on a worcester oil combi horrible things.
We have done a number of heat pump/ oil systems but they were Grant's and ment to go together.

One major thing to consider is age and condition of the existing plumbing.

Going from open vented to sealed system, if existing system has weeps and leaks, pressurise at your own peril

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back