Conduit Junction Box

[QUOTE="ironsidebod, post: 3912692, member: 116778]

I have a need to properly enclose come control cables (low voltage) correctly. [/QUOTE]

Do you mean low voltage? Mains, 240 volts, is low voltage.

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="ironsidebod, post: 3912692, member: 116778]

I have a need to properly enclose come control cables (low voltage) correctly.

Do you mean low voltage? Mains, 240 volts, is low voltage.[/QUOTE]

You know exactly what I mean as is evidenced by other's replies, there's even detail which you could read about what they are for. Your pedantry is tedious.

For the benefit of the genuinely helpful the cables carry 24v AC and 12v DC.

Do you mean low voltage? Mains, 240 volts, is low voltage.

You know exactly what I mean as is evidenced by other's replies, there's even detail which you could read about what they are for. Your pedantry is tedious.

For the benefit of the genuinely helpful the cables carry 24v AC and 12v DC.[/QUOTE]

Nothing pedantry. Use of the wrong terms concerning voltage can be very dangerous, lethal even.

For your information, as you, and it looks like others, clearly don't know, 24v AC and 12v DC are both extra low voltage.

On the other hand if you did know and made a mistake an apology would be in order rather than accusations of pedantry.

Nothing pedantry. Use of the wrong terms concerning voltage can be very dangerous, lethal even.

For your information, as you, and it looks like others, clearly don't know, 24v AC and 12v DC are both extra low voltage.

On the other hand if you did know and made a mistake an apology would be in order rather than accusations of pedantry.

No apology, I see your pedantry on every thread you participate in. If your aim is to **** people off then well done.

TLC list 8 core alarm cable as low voltage....that's what's in the ground in the installation I'm talking about.

FWIW I was going to write ELV but thought better of it as I thought the pedantry police would be along and sure enough...whaddya know.

Sponsored Links
You could have simply written 24V and then no one, not even DIYers, would be unsure.

Because of this sloppiness, confusion abounds as your quote from TLC confirms.

FWIW I was going to write ELV but thought better of it as I thought the pedantry police would be along and sure enough...whaddya know.
You did it intentionally to provoke - then well done.

You could have simply written 24V and then no one, not even DIYers, would be unsure.

Because of this sloppiness, confusion abounds as your quote from TLC confirms.

You did it intentionally to provoke - then well done.

Not deliberate at all. What is one to do when you can't do right for wrong? It'd have been picked at whichever term I used so I chose to go with the less definitive in the hope that common sense would prevail. Clearly I was wrong.

As for the confusion, it makes my point entirely. If there is confusion over the terms, strict pedantry is just that. No universally agreed term means there is no absolute.

Thanks to those who've actively helped. Sods law dictates that after asking for help I stumbled across a company I'd not seen before that have the perfect item, all ordered and on its way. :)

It'd have been picked at whichever term I used
No - I honestly don't think that it would have been picked at if you had said "ELV".

As for the confusion, it makes my point entirely. If there is confusion over the terms, strict pedantry is just that.
This particular one is awkward.

There is confusion because of misuse of terms, and we've seen the same thing with "electronic transformer", the false conflation of lamp size & shape with lamp base leading people to think that MR16 means one complete set of physical attributes, and GU10 means a different set, and so on.

But this one is qualitatively different - there are actual laws which reference the term low-voltage, and which apply to low-voltage installations, so it can be very important that people realise what LV really means.

No universally agreed term means there is no absolute.
The UK is a full member of the IEC - the definition of LV is fully defined.

Not deliberate at all.
That was what I inferred from your post - apologies for being mistaken.

What is one to do when you can't do right for wrong? It'd have been picked at whichever term I used so I chose to go with the less definitive in the hope that common sense would prevail. Clearly I was wrong.
Just state the actual voltage.
Had you used ELV, I doubt anyone would have assumed 24V.

The term "low voltage" includes 50 to 1,000V and just distinguishes it from high voltage.
I don't think anyone has used the term to mean 230V when talking about things like "my low voltage oven".
It is only ever used wrongly for 12V lights - that's why we usually assume correctly - but can never be sure.
That manufacturers get it wrong is their fault and should be put right.

As for the confusion, it makes my point entirely. If there is confusion over the terms, strict pedantry is just that. No universally agreed term means there is no absolute.
It's not pedantry to correct a mistake to prevent its perpetuation.

Probably not,
I was probably right, then.

but would that have mattered?
Perhaps not safety-wise - but, anyway, it is shorter to write 24V.

One ought to consider how significant the mistake is, and how important it is to try and prevent that.
What such mistakes are so insignificant that they would not be corrected by you?

More pedantry?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40059967
It could have been an intentional test?

Could do what I've had to do in a similar situation;
  • Buy yourself the biggest plastic adaptable box you can find (Toolstation do a tolerable one 67255, probably get something better from your local electrical wholesaler)
  • Using your AB as a guide, dig a hole (where your junction is), put a couple of courses of bricks in as the sides/support for the cover
  • Cut holes in the sides of your AB to match the duct sizes, insert them, seal with silicon
  • Do whatever you need to do in the box then screw the lid on. Stick a WARNING ELECTRICAL CABLES label on the lid
  • Put a paving slab over the top (resting on the bricks)

Ironside - this advice is flawed. You should use ducting and chambers meant for electrical cables, so that nobody ever mistakes them for drainage.
What like this one?

Attachments

• 20140321_183334.jpg
    20140321_183334.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back