Conflicting advice on parquet sanding

wow, late night!

Tell me about it! Sanding and filling took longer than anticipated and this was the only way to get the lounge and dining rooms back into use. The flooor had to be sealed before the dog could be allowed back in.

You at least didn't leave too long between the two coats. Is the second coat still tacky? What's the room temperature?
So the 2nd coat should go on sooner rather than later? i.e. before the 1st coat is completely dry?

1st coat was not at all tacky. 2nd coat was also not tacky at 7:30 when I ventured back into the room.

Small windows were left open and the heating left on all night so good and warm.

The oil needs to dry/cure for a while (so don't go putting rugs on it yet - only after 10 days).

If is still feels rough tomorrow morning, buff over it - don't add a third coat!

Good advice - just in time. I was thinking of putting another coat on. What can I buff with? (40 Sq M)

Sponsored Links
2nd coat not later than 36 - 48 hours. Many people don't read the instructions of use and leave it till the next weekend to apply the second coat ;)

If you don't have a light buffing machine, hand and knees with a lint-free cloth I'm afraid. Simply try out a small area now to see if it will make the surface feel smoother.

OK, I thought you might say that about hands and knees.

I'll give it a go but I think we may live with it for now.

If I decide to strip it all off and start again, I know who I shall turn to.

Thanks for all the help.

The advice about not putting rugs down was not communicated to Mrs twonames in time. She has put a rug down to give the dog somewhere she can be without sliding about.

The dog is a rescue and has been quite traumatised by being excluded for the weekend and I'm loathe to add to her trauma by taking the rug back up - she's not coping well with the slippery floor.

What damage will having the rug down do? How much harm is done by having a rug down? Can I minimise the harm by moving the rug about on a daily basis?

Sponsored Links
What damage will having the rug down do? How much harm is done by having a rug down? Can I minimise the harm by moving the rug about on a daily basis?
That would be the best solution. Covering the floor can cause the oil to take longer to cure and in some occasions even stay sticky.

A small rug, changing position daily won't do much harm, and will give your dog piece of mind ;) They normally get used to the floor pretty soon too

They normally get used to the floor pretty soon too

This Greyhound is a retired racer and is thicker than the thickest of a dozen short planks. After almost three years with us, she has still not even learned what the words "Walk" and "Dinner" mean.

It's the dog that set this project going in the first place when she found a tube of scarlet oil paint which she thought would be a good thing to chew. Lots of red pawprints all over the carpet. The insurance money was used to start the parquet project.

Sunday morning during the sanding when there was lots of bare untreated wood, she gashed her leg in the garden and then came in and bled on the floor. If you didn't know, the resultant stains would just look like interesting grain patterns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back