Confusing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had pressure dropping on my Central heating boiler. The pressure drops by 1 bar in a week. seeking advice on this forum I put some Leak Sealer into the Central heating and it seemed to have resolved the problem. However this time the pressure dropped by 1 bar in 5 weeks instead of 1 week. So I had to top the pressure to 1 bar. However now the problem seems to have returned and the pressure drops by about 1 bar every week.

I have the following questions:
- Why did the pressure hold up for 5 weeks and then subsequently drop every week after the leak sealer was introduced.
- Does a pressure drop of 1 bar in a week signify a big under floor leak. Cant find any signs on the ceiling
- Has anyone had any success with Leak Detection Services in finding leaks. There are many like adi and lds who claim to find leaks. How true is this.
- A plumber who came to check the pressure drop was suggesting dropping pipes from the ceiling and bypass the pipes laid in the concrete. Any ideas on what this may cost. House 4 beds and has about 6 radiators downstairs and 6 upstairs

Many thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
If you have pipes laid in the concrete then leak sealer will only delay not cure since they will get worse. The pipes should be taped in some way until they leave the concrete, you should see evidence of protection at floor level under the carpet. If not then re-route sooner rather than later. Several years ago I had to do that parquet flooring was getting wet.

Sponsored Links
@ hazetimesfive Yes inhibitor was added with the leak sealer

@ petertheplumber12: Pipes protected by foam insulating material. Can you elaborate on the rerouting solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back