Connect a gravity feed shower to mains water??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting an electric shower (Mira) over my bath and have just noticed that the shower is supposed to be fed from the header tank (gravity). I don't have a header tank. What will happen if i go ahead and connect it to a mains pressure, cold water pipe? Will it still work?

Sponsored Links
It's likely to have a few problems - the pressure and/or flow rate will probably be too low. Check the MIs and see what the min pressure and flow rate requirements are.

Don't forget that Part P regs cover the installation of a new electric shower

Am I right in thinking that this Mira shower contains a pump? If so, then this is the reason it's designed to work from a 'header tank', rather than the mains.

If you connect it to the mains then you run the risk of (a) breaching the Water Regulations (pumping from mains without permission), and (b) under-running the pump and causing it to die an early death through cavitation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back